Gas Mask in Joshua Tree

carlos71786

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my girlfriend has this fake gas mask that she likes throw in her luggage whenever we go somewhere. We went to Joshua Tree National Park about a month ago and I took this while we were in the Cholla Cactus Garden.

Edit: Oh yeah, shot this with a Canon AE-1 on Kodak Ultramax Film. ISO 400.

Feedback welcome, Thanks

The light was pretty harsh as this was the middle of the day and I also wish I had some sort of reflector to prevent being able to see her eyes.
34743230721_de4ce7e708_b.jpg

Some people seem to like photographing with gas masks. It might not be for everyone, but I try not to judge other's likes and dislikes.

A reflector would have been nice, or even if she would have raised her head a little bit?

Those are not Joshua Trees.
I don't think the OP necessarily said they were Joshua Trees:

We went to Joshua Tree National Park about a month ago and I took this while we were in the Cholla Cactus Garden.

I think you should add more like a back story. I had a friend who likes to photograph a person with gas mask. He likes the theme Apocalypse. I think you should have a picture that looks bleak and dark. Maybe change the clothes that would match the gas mask.

Some people seem to like photographing with gas masks. It might not be for everyone, but I try not to judge other's likes and dislikes.

A reflector would have been nice, or even if she would have raised her head a little bit?

I don't think the OP necessarily said they were Joshua Trees:

We went to Joshua Tree National Park about a month ago and I took this while we were in the Cholla Cactus Garden.
Well the title clearly states "Gas Mask in Joshua Trees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My mistake ... often it is hard to get everything off the phone and yes, the OP did state it was Cholla.

I rather like it. the lighting is not bad at all for midday sun.
but, if she's going to put on a gas mask, she might as well go all the way. :biggrin-93:

20141017_141802 by pixmedic, on Flickr

Don't ignore the rest of the image and only look at what you think is interesting.
Make the important stuff big in the frame.
Brighten the shadows and darken the highlights.

And pick a better time tog go.

upload_2017-5-26_12-55-48.png

Carlos, I have to say that I have no idea what you are after in this shot.

Wasn't necessarily "after" anything specific. We visited the park that day and she happened to bring her mask so she brought it out while we were in the cactus garden.

And, for what it's worth, that looks like a very real mask to me.

I guess so, although it's only rubber with little room to breathe and was like $15, ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, but we were IN Joshua Tree! =)

Thank you all for the feedback.

I'd say that it's more of my gf's like than it is mine. She loves that stupid mask and wants to take pics with it anywhere we go, ha. It makes for interesting shots, to say the least.

I rather like it. the lighting is not bad at all for midday sun.
but, if she's going to put on a gas mask, she might as well go all the way. :biggrin-93:

20141017_141802 by pixmedic, on Flickr

Thanks, and :biglaugh:

Don't ignore the rest of the image and only look at what you think is interesting.
Make the important stuff big in the frame.
Brighten the shadows and darken the highlights.

And pick a better time tog go.

View attachment 140522

Thanks for that. FWIW, I try to limit the editing on my film shots as they are obviously terrible quality to work with on a computer.

Wasn't necessarily "after" anything specific. We visited the park that day and she happened to bring her mask so she brought it out while we were in the cactus garden

Carlos, I think that the first step in getting to be a better photographer is deciding, for every shot, what you want to take a picture of and why. When you know, then compose and expose around that idea.

First know, then shoot.

Just for fun- processed as infared and cropped. Blurred out the eyes a bit too.
34743230721_de4ce7e708_b_new2-1.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back