Gateway | Davenport, CA | First decent sunset

Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This week's photo went out with a BANG! Talk about an awesome sunset, the first decent one I've caught since moving. I drove out to Davenport, remembering from about a month ago seeing what appeared to be pylons in the distance. I wanted to see the coast before it all gets washed away in this new storm we have coming in tomorrow (worst in 15 years).

Next thing I know, I'm climbing down a cliffside with all my gear, heading to this awesome secluded beach with said pylons. As far as I can tell, they used to be for the deserted cement factory nearby. Now, they stand as guardians amongst huge breaking waves, and provide refuge to a few solitary cormorants.

Hope you like it!

Taken with:
Canon 6D
Canon 17-40 f/4L
Lee .9GND Soft

Version 2. (after DBJ comment)

52 Weeks: Gateway (40/52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Last edited:
This week's photo went out with a BANG! Talk about an awesome sunset, the first decent one I've caught since moving. I drove out to Davenport, remembering from about a month ago seeing what appeared to be pylons in the distance. I wanted to see the coast before it all gets washed away in this new storm we have coming in tomorrow (worst in 15 years).

Next thing I know, I'm climbing down a cliffside with all my gear, heading to this awesome secluded beach with said pylons. As far as I can tell, they used to be for the deserted cement factory nearby. Now, they stand as guardians amongst huge breaking waves, and provide refuge to a few solitary cormorants.

Hope you like it!

Taken with:
Canon 6D
Canon 17-40 f/4L
Lee .9GND Soft

52 Weeks: Gateway (40/52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Beautiful scene. My only "not-pick" is that the GND is highly apparent on the concrete piling. I might have taken a non-filtered shot and comped that piece back in.

Cheers!
Jake

Really like it....

You can have your cake, and eat it, too in this image. Simple fix is to make a quick selection of the upper part of the foreground pylon and all the BG pylon and make a curves layer adjustment, not touching the curve but changing the blend mode to "screen" then clicking on the mask and in the "properties" menu, feather the masking selection by 180 +/- pixels. I did a similar action to the water at the bottom right only used a blend mode of "multiply," lowered the opacity to 22% and feathered the selection at 160 pixels.

You can lower the feathering and get more detail in the pylon or leave it as it shows in the first iteration of the blend mode and use a soft brush to blend it to the bottom part of the pylon.

Attachments

• austin.jpg
    austin.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 151
Much improved sir [emoji106][emoji106]

You know I've been here a hundred times but never climbed down, not sure I can! That cement factory was RMC Pacific, was bought by Cemex ( I work for Cemex) and closed not that long ago, maybe 5 years or so Those pylons were for a dock, aren't there huge steel doors on the cliff? I am pretty sure they are quite old, may have been used for the cement plant, not sure but not operational for as long as I've been here.

Love the shot and the fact you climbed down!

Most reactions

Back