Gear upgrade: new camera, new brand if so, or new lenses?

What to do next?

• Stick with the D3300! You can get a lot out of it, focus on new lenses

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Pentax K1 is a big step up. And it is reasonably priced. It's a good step.

• Stick with Nikon but go full format with the D800 or 810

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Stick with Nikon and DX so you can use your lens but upgrade to a better DX camera

• Total voters

outdoorsguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys!

I've had the Nikon D3300 for 3 years now. I'm happy with it and I've sold some photos, but I would like to develop. Maybe push for the next level. I have the following lenses for my Nikon D3300:
- Nikkor 10-20 mm f.4.5
- Nikkor Kit lens 18-55 f.3.5
- Nikkor 35 mm f.1.8
- Tamron 70-300 m f.4.5

I've put this package for sale for about 1200 usd, even though I've not completely decided what to do.

I am considering buying the Pentax K-1 to take my photography (gear) to the next level.

Or do you guys think I should stay with the current camera and instead invest in new lenses?

I've also considered selling my package and investing in a Nikon D800 but then I will only afford 1 lens in the start...

I think I want to go full format....

Any tips?

What's next level for you, what I mean is what does the d3300 not do that you'd like it to do?

The Pentax k-1 is obviously fullframe and weather sealed and should be a good upgrade in many many areas. I nearly went Pentax a few years back but went Nikon, simply because where I live Pentax is hard to come by. You are not overly invested in lenses, though I'd nearly be tempted to keep what I had, add a second hand d800 and upgrade lenses as I went.

However, do you feel you need fullframe, is it image quality or camera functions you need from this upgrade?

What's next level for you, what I mean is what does the d3300 not do that you'd like it to do?

The Pentax k-1 is obviously fullframe and weather sealed and should be a good upgrade in many many areas. I nearly went Pentax a few years back but went Nikon, simply because where I live Pentax is hard to come by. You are not overly invested in lenses, though I'd nearly be tempted to keep what I had, add a second hand d800 and upgrade lenses as I went.

However, do you feel you need fullframe, is it image quality or camera functions you need from this upgrade?

Cheers mate!

Good questions. I want to improve image quality. I also do appreciate better focusing and other stuff that often comes with more pro cameras.

How is the D800 compared to the Pentax K-1?

I think you're right in keeping what I have since I wont get that much for it and add a new camera and slowly build up lenses there...

Well you see all your lenses will work on the d800, only the tamron will work as a full frame lens, but at least there is some functionality.

I haven't used a Pentax, but image quality between the two should be very similar

Yes they will work but not great :(

You would not need to spend massive money to get good lenses.

You should get a 50mm f1.8 d for 100 ish dollars- the Nikon 28-105mm should be available for maybe 150. They are both good older design lenses that will work well with a d800 due the cameras inbuilt focus motor

Thanks mate...

used D800 are relatively "cheap" too...

I see some down to 1000 euroes...

How important are the number of exp?

Thanks mate...

Well, less is better, I think they are rated for 150000 but they can go at any time. You are talking euros, where are you based?

In Norway :)

Ok.. I see one of them has 7000 ex, the other 30 000, so that's something to think about.

I'd confidently buy either but obviously if they are both in good condition the 7000 one is better.

Good luck

Thanks mate...

Well, less is better, I think they are rated for 150000 but they can go at any time. You are talking euros, where are you based?
I've never had a shutter replaced, but I understand that even if a used camera has a shutter die, the shutter replacement is not overly expensive- maybe $200 USD?

Cheers mate, I think you're right. It just seems the Pentax K-1 has a lot more features... like wifi, image stab... hmmm

Its twice as expensive though as I cant find any reasonably priced used Pentax K-1 here in Norway

Thanks mate...

I've never had a shutter replaced, but I understand that even if a used camera has a shutter die, the shutter replacement is not overly expensive- maybe $200 USD?

That's great! :) Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back