Geo-encoding

ericande

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What are the options for encoding pictures' EXIF with location data?

I use smugmug and I can manually type in addresses or lat/long but that isn't exactly fast if I have a set of 100 shots. I understand some cameras have GPS built-in but I don't want to buy a new camera and plus those aren't DSLRs.

What I'd ideally like to have is a GPS that just tracked me (breadcrumb mode or whatever) and software that could match those 'breadcrumbs' to the EXIF data in a folder of pictures. Then it could match times to put lat/long data in all the pics. Is there anything out there like that? Any other cool options?

I take long motorcycle rides and it'd be cool to put something like that on my website.

Hmmm now that is interesting. Maybe providing the timestamps on the EXIF and the GPS data match up it should be relatively easy enough to write a program to do this. But then I'm not a software engineer, and from what I've heard reading and writing EXIF data can be a pain to program.

The other alternative is the Nikon D200 / D2Xs + GPS adapter + GPS unit. Way to expensive for my tastes.

The D1X can do this as well. They are available fairly cheap these days. Not a better camera built at the time. (JMHO)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back