German - Northern-Irish Friendship (long read, loads of info)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by LaFoto, Aug 22, 2007.

1. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I thought some might be interested in where I was last week and what I did there (and in preparation to it in many weeks before).
    For many years, my home town of Dorsten (where I no longer live today) has maintained a friendship bond with a place in Northern-Ireland. At first it all started as private contacts, later developed into a partnership with exchange visits between two church congregations and lead into being a town twinning in the 80s.

My family have been involved in this friendship ever since I can THINK. We have had our first Northern-Irish guest staying in 1960.

As it happens, we are still friendly with that man, who has loooooong been married, and he and his wife have OFTEN come over to Dorsten on either group visits or private stays, and they would always be at my parents' (now only my dad's) house, and they are once more in Dorsten RIGHT NOW.

And my father suddenly had this idea that it was about time to do a thorough collection of all the material people have created/gathered over the course of time, newpaper articles, photos, travel journals and whatnot, to compile it and make a presentation of all this.

So there were 57 years to cover from the very first "weaving the bond" to today, and in a joint venture, the whole "Vogel-family", i.e. our father, my sister, brother and I, worked out this presentation. My father had collected and digitalised the material, my sister and I have been selecting what to say and what NOT to say and HOW to say things (so the presentation would be ENTERTAINING!) since April, I translated all of it into English, and our brother later put the selected (still vast amount of) material into an also quite entertaining PowerPoint presentation.

When Thursday, 16 August, drew nearer and nearer, our father got more and more nervous. He had long felt he was overburdening himself with this assignment of his own, and he was glad to see that we came to his help with thinking up the texts and putting it all together. And yet, when everything was done in mid-July, he was still worried our brother might not get the PPpresentation ready in time, and after my brother HAD got it ready in time, that it might be too long and people would get bored.

NOTHING of the kind happened in the end and the presentation was A BIG SUCCESS :biggrin: - and I think my father is as relieved now as he hasn't been in a long, long while!

The whole visit of the group to Dorsten and the presentation have been covered by the local press, and here are the articles and their translations:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    [​IMG]

And from the other local paper in Dorsten:

[​IMG]
    (This needed to be "glued" together somehow, it would not fit onto my scanner)

This is the photo I took when my brother was still setting up his laptop, projector, tape player and loudspeakers for the music and all and my sister was marking her German texts (last minute! :D) before anyone else arrived, and you can see our dad's old photography logo of "Film Vogel" under which he worked back in the 60s:

[​IMG]

And these two photos show me speaking, so I could not have taken them: my son Florian took the Powershot and took these in the very low light of the room, not using the flash, of course, so they are technically "wobbly" but still the only photos that were taken during the presentation:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someone MIGHT be interested?

3. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

Good to see it went well.

Must have been nice for your dad to see his ideas all come together smoothly

4. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes. He must have felt like an entire mountain range lifted off him when it was all done!

For whoever is interested in all this big amount of info, there's a blog out by one of the Northern-Irish members of the group that you might want to look at, too, maybe? http://dorsten2007.blogspot.com/

5. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, looks like it all went pretty well :) Good to see the big event was a success :)

I almost read it all, but at high speed :p

6. Becky

Becky TPF Noob!

Excellent! Impressive relationships maintained for so long!

Ballyclare is very close to my home town actually... small world!

7. Antarctican

Antarctican TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hey, thanks for all the hard work in translating all those the articles for us. And the amount of work that went into collecting, selecting, editing, digitizing, and translating the actual presentation is mind-boggling. I'm sure the film was well received, and that the thanks of the participants made it all worthwhile for your family. [​IMG]