Foques

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.foquesphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Reaallly need a good advice.

I am ready to buy me a new camera.. Not ready to go all out on d700, so will be sticking with its smaller version of d300.

That said.

Is d300s really worth extra 400-500 over the d300?

I would like to hear some technical input. Been hearing different things, and now am confused.

main reasons why I want to get it - FPS, High ISO, better AF points...

thanks in advance.

On Amazon the D300 is going for $1,649.99 and the D300s is $1,764.99 only about $100 difference...

true.

I was looking at ebay, and there are some d300 for 800-900. I am considering getting me a package deal from ebay since they have a lens/memory card packages there..and I could definitely use 28-80mm :)

I saw some samples on Nikongear.com from Jim Fenton, a pretty well-known Eastern USA bird photographer, and a pretty good technician as well. His sample photos showed a *significantly* better ISO 3200 performance from the D300s, even when the D300 (original model) was exposed at +1 stop, the newer D300s still showed a brighter and clearer image, Less noise, brighter highlights, and overall a better-looking image. That alone would make the D300s a better camera if you need higher IOS settings even occasionally. Oh, and a number of Nikongear users have reported that the 300s model seems to have a slightly tweaked, improved AF performance, where the initial focusing acquisition stage seems a bit faster; that is the type of thing Nikon could easily do in software, which is pretty much what Nikon,Canon, FujiFilm, and other manufacturers have been able to do over the past few years with firmware updates, so the idea that the D300s might be a shade quicker on initial focus acquisition than its two-year old brother seems logical.

Last edited:
The extra memory card slot alone is worth the price. Throw in the updated Expeed processor, firmware and video capability and the resale value at the end will pay you back too.

if indeed the delta is only $100 I would get the D300s. I have a D300 and I am happy with it, so I am not about to trade it in for a D300s.

true.

I was looking at ebay, and there are some d300 for 800-900. I am considering getting me a package deal from ebay since they have a lens/memory card packages there..and I could definitely use 28-80mm :)

I assume you are looking at used?

I have my eyes open to the best deal all around.
whatever I am making off of the shots I take is not going to help pay for the camera..so, the cheaper the better. :)

new i would say get the D300s, but if ur getting it used, then get the best deal and best used quality you can get, good luck!

Most reactions

Back