Get rid of kit lens (18-55)?

Ronniedee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My Canon XSi with 18-55 IS kit lens is on the way along with a 55-250 IS. I plan on getting a nifty-fifty (50mm f/1.8). I've been reading where many leave the 50mm prime on their cameras, so I was wondering if it might be a good idea to sell the 18-55 IS unused and put that money toward something else like a bag, tripod, flash, polarizer filter, better lens fund, etc.

I'm a beginner, so my shooting will be varied. Some indoors with family, sports, concerts, travel, landscapes/wildlife, etc.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!

I got rid of mine when I sold my D60 because I have a 18-200 which makes the 18-55 useless.

I have been thinking about grabbing the 50mm 1.8 lately just because it is so cheap, but I haven't decided if I would ever use it, especially after I get the 70-200 f/2.8 and the 24-70 f/2.8 lenses.

Not sure if the 50mm would benefit me, but it benefits many on this forum.

According to reviews on amazon and browsing other forums, it seems that the Canon 50mm f/1.8 is not the best choice, even though it is really cheap. The choice for a 50mm prime seems to be one step up to the Canon 50mm f/1.4. While it's a little more expensive, people seem to be a lot more pleased with this lens than with the f/1.8.

Just a heads up as I haven't used either lens, put plan on purchasing the 50mm f/1.4 here in the near future.

I would keep it, especially if you're new. I am new as well, and I bought a nifty fifty too. I love it, except there is no zoom. I would keep your kit lens due to the fact it has the zoom feature. Or, sell it and put the money towards a better zoom lens. I, myself, am alright with the kit lens.

I would keep it, especially if you're new. I am new as well, and I bought a nifty fifty too. I love it, except there is no zoom. I would keep your kit lens due to the fact it has the zoom feature. Or, sell it and put the money towards a better zoom lens. I, myself, am alright with the kit lens.
Considering that I will already have the 55-250mm IS, will I miss the ability to zoom between 18-55 that much if I had a 50mm prime? I understand the 1.6X crop factor adds to the effective focal length for the 50, but I'm wondering if i could do without the kit 18-55 until I save up for a nicer wide-angle (Tamaron 17-50 / 2.8, perhaps?) and in the meantime get a headstart by selling the 18-55 unused.

I appreciate your thoughts. You may be right, I just want to have this figured out before the package arrives Wednesday. Once I get my mitts on my new camera, my plan is to stay off the forums for a while, stop second-guessing my gear, and just start shooting until I can come back with some samples for C&C.

Thanks again!

I will recommend you keep you kit lens until you have your replacement. For me, most of the photos I took were within 17mm to 50mm in general. And what's wrong with the kit lens? If you do not know the answer yet, then keep the kit lens. Once you think the lens is the limitation, then find a replacement for that.

i think you should keep it as well, at least until you have another one, just in case...
clear.gif

I also say keep it. You should at least wait until you use it and are sure you dont need that focal range. The 50 Milli will be a nice addition but what happens if you cant move to an area and you want more reach. The Tamron 17-50 and Sigma 18-50 are good replacements.

You won't be getting that much for it, as most people who buy a camera get the kit lens. Those who dont get the kit lens are those who wont want to buy one.

When doing indoor shots and landscapes, I think you will be missing out if your widest focal length is 50mm, which is approx 80 on a crop sensor.

The 50mm will be great for concerts and other low light shots, as well as portraits. Keep the 18-55 for indoor, group shots and landscapes and the 55-200 will be for sports and whatnot.

Then focus on upgrading each of them with something better / slightly different depending on what shooting you like to do.

Your 18-55 may be replaced by a 10-22 and a 24-70, or maybe just a 17-50 f/2.8...who knows

Keep it. I was thinking about it until I realized how many times I want that 18mm length. Anyway, how much will you really get for it?

EDIT:

26mm. Could never have gotten this with a 50. Click for meta data.

My Canon XSi with 18-55 IS kit lens is on the way along with a 55-250 IS. I plan on getting a nifty-fifty (50mm f/1.8). I've been reading where many leave the 50mm prime on their cameras, so I was wondering if it might be a good idea to sell the 18-55 IS unused and put that money toward something else like a bag, tripod, flash, polarizer filter, better lens fund, etc.

I'm a beginner, so my shooting will be varied. Some indoors with family, sports, concerts, travel, landscapes/wildlife, etc.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Keep the 18-55mm IS kit lens for now or you won't have anything on the wide end to use (unless you plan to buy a better lens like the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM right away).

I will recommend you keep you kit lens until you have your replacement. For me, most of the photos I took were within 17mm to 50mm in general. And what's wrong with the kit lens? If you do not know the answer yet, then keep the kit lens. Once you think the lens is the limitation, then find a replacement for that.

Yup.

Keep it. As you discovered, you will not get much selling it (if you can even find a buyer) anyway - so what does it hurt to keep it?

I have a pretty good assortment of good glass, and I still have the kit lens.
It's still the widest lens I own.

I do want to replace it (just can't afford to at the moment), because I cannot use it on my 35mm body (even after I buy a replacement, I will still keep it). 50mm is the widest lens I have that can be used with film.

I concur. Keep the lens. I believe alot of people slag the lens for doing a poor job when it is really inexperience; what I am trying to say is it is a decent lens. Since it is wide angle and you have no other replacement I would be keeping it :)

You won't be getting that much for it, as most people who buy a camera get the kit lens. Those who dont get the kit lens are those who wont want to buy one.

VERY good point. Keep the lens. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back