• 35mm 1.8

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

Thebigbarkhouski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First of all I'm new to photography... I just bought a Nikon D3300 and I saw a video online that said while it has 24 maga pixels if I'm using the 18-55mm lense kit that comes with it I'd only really be capturing 9 mega pixels. My question is what if I get a 35mm 1.8 lense. Will I get better mega pixels? I do plan on taking lots of landscape shots anything that catches the eye on walk abouts

Will I get better mega pixels?
I've not seen anyone else pose that question before.

Let's try to rephrase your question to make it easier to answer.

(my best guess) "Will I have better image quality using one lens over the other?"

(another guess) "Which lens will perform better in low light?"

The sensor's size and design is where the term "megapixels" comes from, and your lens of choice will not change that. Camera manufacturers are very clever, and have made a huge production of the term in order to sell more cameras than their competitors. So a camera with 24 megapixels will sell more than say, a camera with only 16 megapixels.

Now as to lenses; either of those two that you named should project their image circle onto your sensor's total of 24 megapixels. Therefore they are both good choices for getting all of your pixels into the game.

(my first question answered) Maybe.

(my second question answered) The one with the wider maximum aperture.

BTW: whichever source it was that hinted at the possibility of "losing" megapixels may not be a good choice from which to learn photography.

Just sayin'.

Thanks a lot! I think I'll use the 18-55mm for a bit before I get something else, I still have much to learn. I just want to make the right choices with equipment to start off on the right foot

I have that lens on my camera nearly all the time, even though I have three other lenses.

Do you notice much of a difference in quality with a kit lens over a prime tho?

Lenses are measured in millimeters. Cameras are rated for megapixels. The claim that a given lens affect the mp capabilities of the camera is like claiming what you had for lunch yesterday will affect what shows will be on TV next week.

Do you notice much of a difference in quality with a kit lens over a prime tho?
To be frank, I don't notice any difference in image quality, but I'm probably not the best one to judge minute differences. If you explore review sites, the small differences between lenses are listed and explained.

The things that are noticeable are light-gathering ability and depth of field potential.

So if I want to shoot in low light or compress the DOF, I will use one of my prime lenses.

If you read up dxo marching scheme it us mentioned somewhere about lens resolution and how many effective mp some lenses give with some cameras. It's lab based but a way they rate parts of lens function, so I can see why question is asked.

To OP, in my opinion the kit lens is the best to start with as it gives you a bit of everything and in a small amount of time you will realize if it has any limitations that hold you back, therefore at least giving an indication of what lens may suit you better, or to add to your kit.

I had this 35mm, if it's the dx f1.8 version you are referring to. It is a great lens, is sharper than the kit lens, but maybe not at normal viewing sizes of normal photos. It has good low light ability and can isolate background better due large aperture, but it's always 35mm. I would see this as a lens to add to collection with kit lens as opposed to replace the kit lens. Your mileage may vary

Good to know, I think when the time is right I'll get a new lease and see what kind of quality I get get out of my Nikon D 3300. I'm still waiting for it to arrive lol

I just bought a Nikon D3300 and I saw a video online that said while it has 24 maga pixels if I'm using the 18-55mm lense kit that comes with it I'd only really be capturing 9 mega pixels.
You misunderstood what the video was saying, or the info in the video was wrong.

Both the 18-55 mm and the 35mm are Nikon DX (crop size image sensor - APS-C size) lenses and when mounted on a Nikon FX (full size image sensor) camera body the FX camera automatically detects the DX lens and only uses the much smaller DX size central portion of the full size image sensor.

Your D3300 has a DX image sensor so there is no loss of megapixels.

DX lenses project a smaller image circle sufficient to fully illuminate the smaller APS-C image sensor and cannot fully illuminate the much larger full frame image sensor, which is why FX cameras only uses part of it's larger image sensor when a DX lens is mounted..

The main reason why I asked the original question is because while debating on what cramera to buy I noticed the D3300 had more MP's than almost every entry level DSLR and all the "vs" site had the D3300 as the winner. My concern is that without a proper lense I loose out on the camera full capabilities and thus paid more for something I'm not using...

Thanks for the explanations while I don't fully understand all of it I will do my homework I feel like I have a lot to learn as a newbie but I'm keen to the challenge

The main reason why I asked the original question is because while debating on what cramera to buy I noticed the D3300 had more MP's than almost every entry level DSLR and all the "vs" site had the D3300 as the winner. My concern is that without a proper lense I loose out on the camera full capabilities and thus paid more for something I'm not using...

Regardless of how you ended up with the D3300, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. It's a good camera. My wife uses one, and I love its IQ.

Whenever you do decide to get a new lens, don't be afraid to buy FX lenses for it, especially for telephoto work, from 70mm on up.

Regardless of how you ended up with the D3300, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. It's a good camera. My wife uses one, and I love its IQ.

Whenever you do decide to get a new lens, don't be afraid to buy FX lenses for it, especially for telephoto work, from 70mm on up.

Why buy FX lenses for it?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back