Get this

Well if this guy is just starting out, I can give him my artist discount and I'd be comfortable closer to $150 with a photo credits in the book, and a licensing clause that includes the first 1200 prints with the option to expand it later.

Well if this guy is just starting out, I can give him my artist discount and I'd be comfortable closer to $150 with a photo credits in the book, and a licensing clause that includes the first 1200 prints with the option to expand it later.
That sounds a LOT more reasonable.

So tell him you can't really make it work for less than $150, but gets him rights for 5000 copies, and additional copies are 5c each.

But really, people get way too hung up on this. Either it's worth $50 to you, or it isn't.

If you have a successful photo business then you really can't spend time chasing after this. Chances are you don't though, otherwise you wouldn't even be considering it. In which case you have photography hobby that sometimes maybe kicks back some cash. So go enjoy your hobby taking the pictures, and let it kick back $50.

Yeah, this doesn't seem worth a professional photographer's time to even consider this.

The guy is amateur hour. If he could write and was any good he'd be trying to get published by a publisher, not trolling around the internet to find a picture of a statue that he wants on his book. You might be agreeing to have your photo put on a piece of crap.

And what exposure?? what recognition? it's not like a publishing company wants to use it, that might lead to a decent licensing rate of payment and if they liked your work, maybe would use you again.

And - don't work for exposure! who does that in any sort of work?? The expectation should be the going rate for the specified usage. Find professional photographers resources thru American Society of Media Photographers or PPA and learn how to do this properly.

Yeah, this doesn't seem worth a professional photographer's time to even consider this.

The guy is amateur hour. If he could write and was any good he'd be trying to get published by a publisher, not trolling around the internet to find a picture of a statue that he wants on his book. You might be agreeing to have your photo put on a piece of crap.

And what exposure?? what recognition? it's not like a publishing company wants to use it, that might lead to a decent licensing rate of payment and if they liked your work, maybe would use you again.

And - don't work for exposure! who does that in any sort of work?? The expectation should be the going rate for the specified usage. Find professional photographers resources thru American Society of Media Photographers or PPA and learn how to do this properly.

Well he has a publishing company. And they are going to print 1200 copies. But I get the feeling the "publishing company" is amateur hour as well because he spoke with them about my offer and they wouldn't take it.

I even said I'd do it for $50 just because I wanted to help the guy and they wouldn't take it. So their loss I suppose. Wasn't really worth the headache anyway.

Thanks for the feedback, yall.

Most reactions

Back