Getting a 20D

HoboSyke

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,im soon to be purchasing a canon 20D.

Would the 18-55mm lens or 17-85 IS lens be better to start with and why?

I can get either lens in a package with the body for about the same price.

Thanks. :thumbup:

What are your goals?

I'd get a 35 f/2 prime if I had to do it over again.

DocFrankenstein said:
What are your goals?

I'd get a 35 f/2 prime if I had to do it over again.

LOL. Im sorry but I dont know how to answer your question....

I just want to take photos..

So you'd get a 35mm lens with appeture f.2 ?

I just want a basic good lens to start with then like the others have said I can learn what lenses I will need in the future. :lovey:

If they are the same price, get the 17-85 IS. I don't know if it's a better lens or not. They are both consumer lenses, but it's a nice zoom range, gives you IS, and will let you take some photos, and get a feel for what you like to shoot most. Then you can invest in something nicer. You might want to pick up a 50mm f/1.8 as well. It's very cheap.

HoboSyke said:
So you'd get a 35mm lens with appeture f.2 ?

I just want a basic good lens to start with then like the others have said I can learn what lenses I will need in the future. :lovey:
Yep. It's this little guy right here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ls&Q=&sku=12119&is=USA&addedTroughType=search

Zooms are convenient and all that, but you'd learn a LOT more with a prime.

I've been thinking about lenses, people here sum it up a lot better than I do:
http://medfmt.8k.com/bronlensenvy.html

Digital Matt said:
If they are the same price, get the 17-85 IS. I don't know if it's a better lens or not. They are both consumer lenses, but it's a nice zoom range, gives you IS, and will let you take some photos, and get a feel for what you like to shoot most. Then you can invest in something nicer. You might want to pick up a 50mm f/1.8 as well. It's very cheap.

I'll agree to that. I have the 18-55mm kit lens. It does what I want to do, especially being new to the digital world. Either or , your gonna be really stoked with the 20D. Can't wait to upgrade to a few L series lenses in the future.

I see, you are using an f707, I have the 717 and find it able to do most things that I require, the lens it has is excellent, why change, is it an ego thing. I am considering bying a tele converter for mine to give more scope, also a macro converter, as well, all up 500$AU, much cheaper than where you heading. Ernie

You might want to double-check the price on those kits. It looks to me like the 17-85 IS kit costs almost $600 more than the 18-55. I see a Rebel XT with 17-85 IS for about the same price as a 20D with 18-55.

If you go for a zoom, I would get the cheaper of the two. It's a good lens and you may end up wanting to go the prime route. The zoom can help you decide which primes are for you if you want to do that. I like to use a normal length prime, but I know one person who always goes wide angle and one who swears by what I would call portrait length.

As for your motive in considering the 20D, I went from a DSC-F707 to a 10D and I don't feel bad about it. I got the SLR feel, less shutter lag, and a real viewfinder. I do love the Sony's swivel lens for ground level pet pictures though. I certainly don't think a 20D is an ego booster. It looks pretty anonymous compared to the giant lens on the DSC-F707.

erniehatt said:
I see, you are using an f707, I have the 717 and find it able to do most things that I require, the lens it has is excellent, why change, is it an ego thing. I am considering bying a tele converter for mine to give more scope, also a macro converter, as well, all up 500$AU, much cheaper than where you heading. Ernie

Yeha the sony is not a bad camera at all.. But I just bought a 20D with 17-85mm IS lens. :hail: :hail:

Battery is still charging up. Nearly ready.. WooHoo..

joeboot said:
You might want to double-check the price on those kits. It looks to me like the 17-85 IS kit costs almost $600 more than the 18-55.

Yeah, if you can find a kit with the 17-85 IS for the same price as the 18-55 kit, go for it! Unless it's a scam. You aren't looking at Royal Cameras are you?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back