Getting a Canon T2... which lenses are "must-haves"?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by liz10185, Jan 6, 2007.

1. liz10185

liz10185 TPF Noob!

I know various forms of the "which lens" question have been asked before, but after looking at some I'm more confused than when I started! So hopefully someone will be kind enough to respond...

Anyway, I'm buying the camera for a photography course and will mostly be taking photos around New York City, and probably when traveling. I don't have too much money to spend, so I'd like to know which lenses are the must-haves (preferably light, since I'll be carrying them often). Would you recommend buying the camera with the kit lens (28-90mm f/4-5.6 EF III for $70)? The Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II seems to be popular and telephoto lenses look tempting (though expensive). Any suggestions?

2. Ihaveaquestion

Ihaveaquestion TPF Noob!

I've had a T2 for over a year now.

I love that thing.

I think fixed lenses are boring but thats just me.

The 50mm is a good one though.

3. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, they give you better image quality and less distortion than zooms.

a 50mm prime for 100 USD easily gives you the same image quality as a 1000 USD zoom lens which is set at 50mm.

i did survive for a couple of years just with a 28mm prime (architecture + landscape) and a 50mm prime (landscape + all the rest).

the only lack was the missing tele lens for wildlife.

with primes you tend to concentrate more on good perspectives and composition as lazy zooming is not an option (at least I do).

4. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    definitely go with the 50mm f1.8. It is cheap enough that there is no reason not to get it for the wonderful fast glass. Most of the kit lenses are not that great. I would save my money on the kit lens and put th $70 towards something else. Look at third party ( sigma, tamron, tokina). Do some research. Check local venues for some used glass.. there are deals to be found. You just have to look.

Several years ago, I had an itch for a really wide angle zoom. Don't shoot wide angle that much so I couldn't justify the cost. I found the Tokina 19-35mm for $150 (new) and I still can make wonderful pictures with this "plastic wonder"..... at less than 1/2 the cost of Canon's offerings.