Getting a D90. Advice on lens choices please?

I'm a strong believer in prime lenses. It comes down to: are you more interested in image quality or convenience?

+1 Best point in this entire thread

With prime lenses and the D90 you can autofocous, unlike the lower end models.

I own the 55-200mm and the 50mm and both are very useful, it just depends on what you are doing.

I have the D90 as well and LOVE the 18-105, I also have the 55-200 and it has only been on the camera once but it also depends on was kind of pics your taking. My two main lenses are the 18-105 kit lens and the 35 1.8. Best of luck in your choice! All in all you just cant go wrong with the 18-105.

Some of the lenses listed are way out of my price range at the moment. Even the 85mm is a bit much at the moment.

If this is the case, my suggestion is stick with the cheapo 18-55mm and learn photography while saving up for better glass. You might find that you really have no need for one type of lens, or a greater need for another. Low end lenses do not hold their value like the higher end. You will be forced to sell at a loss if you jump the gun and buy a lens you really do not need or use.

With prime lenses and the D90 you can autofocous, unlike the lower end models.

You cannot auto focus the 35mm 1.8 AF-S on lower models? What about the 50mm 1.4 AF-S?

p!nK

50mm 1.8

if you hate it, you're down only $120...not a bad deal! no worries though, you will like it.

You cannot auto focus the 35mm 1.8 AF-S on lower models? What about the 50mm 1.4 AF-S?

p!nK

I auto focus fine on my d3000 with the 35mm 1.8 :sexywink:

I got the 55-200mm VR and the 35mm Prime this week, and had my first day with them yesterday. Went into Boston and walked around taking pics. Took about 200. These are the ones I liked the most. No editing except for shrinking to 25%. Let me know what you think.

ISO at 200. Was messing around with the M-A-S modes so I don't know the shutter speeds and apertures. All Manual Focus.

1. Phillip's Gravestone
grave1.jpg

2. "Drooling" Gravestone
grave3.jpg

3. Sitting on Donkey
donkeyw.jpg

4. Daruma Tattoo and Poster.
daruma.jpg

5. Telephone Booth
phonebooth.jpg

If you guys want to edit them go ahead. I think a few could use some slight crops.

Thank you all for your advice. I barely touched my 55-200mm. But I can see it coming in handy. I am now thinking about the 50mm 1.8 Prime. Also need a bag and an extra battery.

And can I just say, I absolutely despise the "orange-ness" from almost all light bulbs!

Last edited:
And can I just say, I absolutely despise the "orange-ness" from almost all light bulbs!

Try adjusting your white balance in the camera or else getting a white balance card.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back