Getting a macro lens...advice

amara_shadow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently got a macro lens from a friend - a Nikon 60mm F2.8. It's geat fun branching out and trying something different - but this one doesn't autofocus on my D60, and has to be locked on a certain aperture to work.

So I am looking at getting an AF-S macro so that it will autofocus on my D60. The 2 that I am looking at are:

Nikkor AF-S 105mm f 2.8 ED VR $1600 (NZD)
Nikon AF-S 60mm f2.8G Micro $999.00 (NZD)

Does anyone have any advice as to these lenses and whether one is better than the other? Also, will I be able to use any aperture on these lenses or will I have to stick to just the one for it to work?

Well, I have just been finding things lying around the house, and photographing them at the moment. But I would really like to take pictures of flowers, and bugs, and other things like that.

If you're going to be shooting bugs, you might want something longer than 105mm, even on an APS-C sensor. 105mm, and even 60mm is fine for things that don't mind you being near them, but bugs can be jumpy. And really, any lens should have their full aperture range available. Methinks your friend's lens is broken.

hmmm....bummer. Hope her lens isn't broken! It's brand new! The manual does say that it may have to be set on a certain aperture with some cameras. Might read the manual again.

I haven't been offered any other lenses that are longer....might give the store a call and see if they have anything else.

AF on bugs is a big big big pain - at least I have not found an easy way to make it work.

I normally end up going manual.

Yeah I can understand using manual focus for bugs and things. I would still like one that I can put on auto for other things.

Does anyone know if the Sigma AF 150mm f2.8 Macro would autofocus on my D60?

It will if it is HSM. And BTW, you have to lock it on that one aperture becuase the newer cameras make all the adjustments from the on camera controls, so you actually do have control, just not manual.

Also, just about all macro shots are taken in MF anyways so i dont know why you want to get rid of the one you have now.

Ok - so I can play with the settings on the camera and change the aperture that way, is that what you are saying?

True, perhaps I shall just keep the one I have an save up for something I actually need.

If the Camera is on manual or aperture priority you will have full control. I suggest you spend more time learning how to use your camera before you drop that much on a lens.

Manual focus is the norm, However I prefer AI SERVO focus mode for all my macros.

I shoot with a 100mm and I don't believe you need more than that for insects. A little practice you'll get awesome shots. The Sigma 105 and the Nikor 105 both take amazing images. Given the shallow DOF with macro, you'll more than likely need external flash to get nice shots.

I would practice with the 60mm more and use these settings for getting started:

Manual Mode
shutter -200
aperture -13
ISO-100
External Flash

good luck

Thank you for the advice :) Now that I know that I can control the settings in those modes I will be able to play a bit more. I appreciate the replies :)

It will if it is HSM. And BTW, you have to lock it on that one aperture becuase the newer cameras make all the adjustments from the on camera controls, so you actually do have control, just not manual
Oh yea. I forgot the Nikon lenses still have aperture rings :lmao:

The manual does say that it may have to be set on a certain aperture with some cameras. Might read the manual again.

My 50mm f1.8 is locked at f22. Once it locked the camera will set the aperture automatically.

Most reactions

Back