Getting a new camera

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Sillysoft, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Sillysoft

Sillysoft TPF Noob!

Alright so I ditched the Sony camera, just was too crappy for shooting sports at night. Anyway my question is what camera should I go with next that can help me take night time photos? I was looking to buy a EOS 30D Digital SLR Camera that comes with a 18 55 mm Lens. Would this work for me until I can buy a better lens?

Silly

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The camera will certainly help...but that lens won't be doing you any favors for shooting at night without a tripod. For $70 US, you can get a 50mm F1.8 lens...which would be a great improvement for low light shooting.

Maybe consider a Rebel XT and but the savings toward the lens.

3. Sillysoft

Sillysoft TPF Noob!

I can buy the camera without the lense and it would be almost exactly a savings of $70 which I could use to buy the lense you recommend.

Silly

4. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would still suggest getting the kit lens anyway. 50mm isn't very wide on that camera...and would therefore be a limitation in a lot of scenarios. The kit lens isn't' great but for $70-$100...it's a darn good deal for a lens that will give you the field of view of 18-55mm.

5. Sillysoft

Sillysoft TPF Noob!

Just to clarify are you saying going ahead and get the 18-55mm lens it comes with and the 50mm 1.8ap lens as well?

Silly

6. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, that would be my suggestion.

I know it's easier said than done to say "spend more money"...but they are both very good value for the money, IMO. The 50mm is good in low light or sports or portraits etc...but it's not very wide. The kit lens is not great for low light or sports...but it's fairly wide, which is very nice for everyday shooting.

7. Sillysoft

Sillysoft TPF Noob!

Ok thanks for the suggestion! I guess I should read up more on lens use as well. I never had a camera before where I had to attach the lens. Are the settings on the lens themselves and you adjust it on them or does the camera auto read what the lens can do and allows you to adjust it via the camera?

Silly

8. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, that's how it's done.

On older cameras, the aperture was adjusted on the lens...but now it's all done via electronics.

9. Sillysoft

Sillysoft TPF Noob!

Thanks again for your suggestion. Wish I came here before I bought that Sony camera. Man that thing was grainy as heck when I put the ISO above 400.

Silly

10. Sillysoft

Sillysoft TPF Noob!

Just re-read your post about recommending going with the cheaper rebel xt. The camera I see is the EOS Digital Rebel XTi SLR Camera. Is that one the your talking about? Because thats almost a $500 savings.

Silly

11. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Here is Canon's line up...in a nut shell.

There are the 'entry level' cameras. It started with the Digital Rebel, which was replaced by the Rebel XT, which was replaced by the Rebel XTi. Each new camera has improved features and technology.

The next level up is the 10D, which was replaced by the 20D and 30D respectively.

Then there is the 5D in it's own class...and then the 1 series Pro bodies.

If budget is a concern, you can probably still find a Rebel XT (not the XTi) in stores for a great deal, while supplies last. The XTi is the newest model, with the better features...but the XT is certainly a great camera as well.

The 30D is a step above the Rebels...and has a stronger, bigger body and the fantastic thumb wheel on the back. I personally like the bigger body and the ergonomics better than the small Rebels. However, the XTi is the newest model...and has newer technology than even the 30D. This is kind of a funny spot for Canon...because the XTi may actually be a better camera than the 30D...for less money.

I think the most important thing you can do...is to go into a store and hold them all. The Rebels are quite a bit smaller, too small for a lot of people. However, smaller and lighter is often desirable. You can always get the smaller camera with a battery grip to make it bigger.

So I'd say your options are between the 30D, the XTi and maybe the XT. (Some stores may even have new 20D cameras in stock). They are all good cameras. Many people will tell you that it's a good idea to skimp on the camera body and put that extra money into the lens. I say, get what feels best to you.

I forgot to mention that February is when they hold the big PMA show, where many camera makers will announce new models. Canon may well have new models on the way...which will either give you more options...or drive down the price of current models.

12. Sillysoft

Sillysoft TPF Noob!

To verify though the Cannon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens would work on any of the Canon camera you mentioned correct?

Silly