Getting a NEW Laptop!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by itsanaddiction, Jun 8, 2008.

1. itsanaddiction

itsanaddiction TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Yay! I'm getting a new laptop! However, I need suggestions. If you are mac why? If you have a specific setup please tell me about it. I'm saving up but the skies the limit. Also, I have access to most of the programs I would use. And I can buy everything else. Thanks in advance!

Danielle

2. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well if you're into digital photography, Macs just plain work better, their screens are great, and already calibrated. Most Windows based laptops are very poor when it comes to photography. Someone I know had a Windows laptop screen that was so bad that he couldn't even get it calibrated properly with a $150 calibration system. I also had an IBM Thinkpad T40 and T43 whose screens were horrible as well. That's what actually drove me back to desktops, and the usual Windows BS pushed me to Mac. Couldn't be happier with my 24" iMac. I'd get a MacBook Pro with the 15" screen. My wife is planning to get the MB Air, but we're waiting for her T40 to blow up. :)

3. STICKMAN

STICKMAN TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am no big pc person but from the friends and co-workers that I spoke with each and every person suggested a Mac if you are going to be doing photo work. This is just what was suggested to me, if money is no issues then I would go that route.........

4. Alfred D.

Alfred D. TPF Noob!

Wow! You got a sugar daddy, Danielle?

Anyway, to answer your question:
    in your shoes I would get a 17" MacBook Pro and a 1TB Time Capsule, up the MBP's RAM to 2GB, switch it on, and away you go!

And, for giggles: with a MacBook Pro you will also have the fastest Windows Vista running laptop on the market (a kick in the pants Vista sorely needs, as we all know), should you need to run that. Can't imagine why, though.

5. *Mike*

*Mike* TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What software do you already have? If it's not mac compatible you have to decide if it's worth switching... Some companies will transfer the license at minimal cost (but huge headaches), and some you may have to buy all over again.

Personally, I would never advocate a laptop for editing. Ambient light changes way too much, and angle of viewing also changes everytime you open the lid.

I'm not a mac person... and I couldn't justify the premium that it calls for. So, I'd advocate a good desktop PC.

6. elemental

elemental TPF Noob!

I love my Macbook Pro (the old Core Duo 2.0 bumped up to 2GB RAM). It runs heavy software no program and is simpler and (to me) more satisfying to use. If it doesn't need to be portable, iMac or Mac Pro (ultimate hotness) are the way to go is you ask me.

7. Alfred D.

Alfred D. TPF Noob!

That's an urban legend, Mike.

8. dylj

dylj TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't agree that it's an urban legend.

I purchased my laptop half a year ago for $1200. It has an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, GeForce 8600 GT DDR3, 160gb 5400 rpm, 15.4 1280x800.

The Apple equivalent is the MBP, which is $2000. The MBP is slightly lighter but thicker than my Dell XPS 1530. The processor, RAM, and graphics card are exactly the same. Same size screen, webcam, hard drive, everything.

As to the upkeep costs -- I haven't paid anything in terms of service or troubleshooting.

9. Samriel

Samriel TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What do you want to do with it? Do you plan on going professional and need it to check and edit the pictures right away in front of the client or similar? If not, I would to get a proper desktop (Quad CPU, 8GB RAM, 24"-30" screen) for the same (or actually less) money you are going to buy a laptop (with four times worse specs...), and then get a cheap 500$ laptop for transfering and viewing (but not heavily editing) your pictures on site. If you decide to go for a laptop only, a Mac is the better option. If you decide to go for the desktop+laptop option, you can go both ways. If you really need a computer for photography ONLY, Mac seems to be the better choice. If you wan't to use it for other things as well, a PC might be the better option. Also depends what you are used to working with. I am personally a PC person, and prefer the (hardware and software) options of the PC. I do like the Mac screens though.
    Also, on a desktop vs laptop note, I have to say that any laptop that is "good" for photography is going to be at least 3kg in weight, which means it's not necessarily easy to carry around. I'd personally rather go for a powerful desktop + light laptop configuration than the "kinda powerful and mobile all-in-one" laptop configuration. It's like having a decent SLR with good speciality lenses or having a P&S which does everything but nothing as good as the SLR can.

10. PhotoDonkey

PhotoDonkey TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Macs are, indeed, more expensive than PCs. When I was researching prices for a new notebook PC about 6 months ago, a low-end Mac was more expensive than the high-powered Notebook PCs I was looking at.

In the end, I went with a Toshiba notebook. But photography doesn't even make the list of needs when I purchase a PC. It's just a hobby for me and all I care about in terms of that is disk space, but I care about that with pretty much every need I have for a PC.

I'm not saying you shouldn't get a mac, but it's most definitely NOT an urban legend when it's said that Macs are more expensive than PCs. A few web searches should turn that up for you rather quickly.

That said, what you get in any PC amounts to what your needs are. If your needs go beyond the realm of photography, this is probably not the best place to get your answer.

11. *Mike*

*Mike* TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's propaganda Alfred. :mrgreen:

12. Rhys

Rhys TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I went for a Mac. The bonuses are not immediately apparent but they're there. They run better than PCs - they don't slow down as the disk fills. They don't slow down as updates are applied. They don't need resource-hogging antivirus programs as to be effective, viruses need to be installed and that needs a password.

The software works better and Hell, I wish I'd gone mac years ago.