Getting a webpage up and running....

Quok1mb0

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
quok1mb0.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What would all the expenses be? I know haveing a .com through godaddy or something like that....but what else would there be and about how much would it be monthly? Thanks for any help given! it is truly appreciated! :)

I know godaddy is popular, but remember to make sure your ISP gives you ad-free webspace at which to point the domain. Godaddy doesn't give you space, just the domain name.

If you need space I recommend my own host, doteasy (doteasy.com). A basic, beginner's package comes with 100MB, four domain emails ([email protected]), the domain registry and support for a year for around $20.00.

If you are wanting just to do photography showcasing the other alternative would be to have a photoblog. Remember, again, you need a place to host the images. Blogger is free, and you could also point your domain at a blog.

I have a site that offers templates and tutorials on web design: http://www.websongdesigns.com

Also, please remember to protect your images online with copyright and some safe scripting doesn't hurt.

Good lucka and please keep us updated!

I have been using Brinkster.com for my webhosting needs. It's like $10 a month. Sorry, I can't remember how much space I have. I just renewed it for another year and it was like $118.00 or so. I've liked it so far and they have been helpful whenever I have a problem.
-April

do they do the contruction of the site and everything...I am in school for computer design and whatnot but I dont get to take my dreamweaver class untill my third semester and im in my first :( LoL

thanks all for the comments!

No, they don't. What I would recommend is getting somebody to design a basic template for you (I do this service for pretty cheap money) using your own photos. I wouldn't do any service that charges monthly if you are on a budget-- way too expensive. As I said, doteasy is 25 or so for the entire year, and places like godaddy are under 10 but you need space.

The alternative is finding a webmaster, but that can get pricey and if you are showcasing your work it's going to be constant changes, so... even pricier.

Dreamweaver is a great place to start and I would advise you start tinkering on your own. I get paid to do websites and never took a class. Just started goofing with Dreamweaver and taught myself. It's a very click-and-learn program!

I use a host called "The Well Thoughtout Hosting Company". they charge me £3 a month with support, I get 250Mb storage and a 2 gig bandwidth. It also supports ASP, which I find useful, they also support DSN connections to your database (useful as Dreamweaver uses a DSN connection if you want) and Access databases which I find better than having to mess around with MySQL and Apache server on my machine at home. I pretty much taught myself with DW and theres a really good tutorial site called Webthang that covers a lot. I can reccommend the Dreamweaver for Dummies book also. The great thing about DW is it's a wysiwig interface and a lot can be done through drag and drop.

Cheers, Lol

i really appreciate all the help...looks like i am going to get a dreamweaver for dummies book and start messing around!! :) preciate much!

also whats 3 pounds translated into dollars?

91 bucks for a year domain name and 4000 MB's of space...thats not to bad now I just need to get on the ball with this dreamweaver buisness LoL

Check out freehostia.com http://freehostia.com It is 100% free, and I am hosted on there and I am VERY impressed! I did a LOT of shopping around before I chose a hosting solution and a LOT of research. I happened upon them by accident actually, when reading reviews and was, and still am to this day, totally amazed at what they offer with no advertising anywhere on your site. My domain is hosted thru 1&1 and was $9.99 a year, only because I wanted to have email with my name on it for a professional look. If you wish to skip the email, you can register a domain at yahoo.com for $1.99 a year.

Here is what Freehostia offers:

Overview
Absolutely FREE
No setup fee
Data storage: 250 MB
Monthly bandwidth: 5 GB

Customer Support
Free 24/7 technical support
Detailed video tutorials
Extensive documentation
Integrated ticketing system
Response time: 24 hours

Domains and Subdomains
Hosting for 1 domain
5 subdomains

Free Features
Elefante free scripts (this things amazing...full php, wordpress, others from Cpanel)
FrontPage Extensions

Site Statistics
Detailed bandwidth stats

E-mail Features
3 POP3 accounts
3 Email aliases
SpamAssassin protection
E-mail filters
Webmail service
POP3 access/no SMTP
"Catch-all" e-mails

Scripting and Database
1 MySQL database
10 MB MySQL DB space
Perl enabled
PHP enabled
PHPMyAdmin
Over 3,000 Perl modules

Site Management Tools
Advanced Control Panel
Multi-lingual control panel
1 FTP account
Web-based file manage

Misc Features
Instant account activation
SSL with certificate gen
SSI (Server Side Includes)
RAID secured data storage
Easy upgrade options

OS and Backup
Stable Linux with Apache
UPS & diesel generator

Server and Connection
Dual P4 XEON 2.8/1GB RAM
2x160GB HDDs in RAID
100 MBits conn. per server
320 GBits data center conn.
99.9% uptime guarantee

My site is on www.freewebs.com They have a number of premium packages as well as free ones. Currently the site I have today www.renebruunphotography.com cost me approx $70 for 2 years including domain name. The sites are all templates so you dont need to know any html. Also there are some new designs coming up to make it even better.

I have been thrilled with the "one stop shopping" with TLCWE.com I registered domain names (two) and then I pay monthly for hosting and it is very reasonable and I can count one time in two years I have been down with them, and being down only lasted a few hours. I have since bought two templates through a web design company (just bought another one recently, waiting to set it up and go with it).... but before I did, I designed a few sites myself using Microsoft FrontPage. All I did was click through it. I never designed sites in my life, but it was easy enough to click and click and click and experiment and figure it out myself.

I'm a web designer and could set up a Flash website with a gallery for US$ 230.- if you want. Hosting US$ 7.50 per month. Let me know if you're interested.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back