Getting a webpage up and running....

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Quok1mb0, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Quok1mb0

Quok1mb0 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    What would all the expenses be? I know haveing a .com through godaddy or something like that....but what else would there be and about how much would it be monthly? Thanks for any help given! it is truly appreciated! :)

2. ShandaLear

ShandaLear TPF Noob!

I know godaddy is popular, but remember to make sure your ISP gives you ad-free webspace at which to point the domain. Godaddy doesn't give you space, just the domain name.

If you need space I recommend my own host, doteasy (doteasy.com). A basic, beginner's package comes with 100MB, four domain emails (you@yourdomain.com), the domain registry and support for a year for around $20.00.

If you are wanting just to do photography showcasing the other alternative would be to have a photoblog. Remember, again, you need a place to host the images. Blogger is free, and you could also point your domain at a blog.

I have a site that offers templates and tutorials on web design: http://www.websongdesigns.com

Also, please remember to protect your images online with copyright and some safe scripting doesn't hurt.

Good lucka and please keep us updated!

3. AprilRamone

AprilRamone TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have been using Brinkster.com for my webhosting needs. It's like $10 a month. Sorry, I can't remember how much space I have. I just renewed it for another year and it was like $118.00 or so. I've liked it so far and they have been helpful whenever I have a problem.
    -April

4. Quok1mb0

Quok1mb0 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    do they do the contruction of the site and everything...I am in school for computer design and whatnot but I dont get to take my dreamweaver class untill my third semester and im in my first :( LoL

thanks all for the comments!

5. ShandaLear

ShandaLear TPF Noob!

No, they don't. What I would recommend is getting somebody to design a basic template for you (I do this service for pretty cheap money) using your own photos. I wouldn't do any service that charges monthly if you are on a budget-- way too expensive. As I said, doteasy is 25 or so for the entire year, and places like godaddy are under 10 but you need space.

The alternative is finding a webmaster, but that can get pricey and if you are showcasing your work it's going to be constant changes, so... even pricier.

Dreamweaver is a great place to start and I would advise you start tinkering on your own. I get paid to do websites and never took a class. Just started goofing with Dreamweaver and taught myself. It's a very click-and-learn program!

6. Lol999

Lol999 TPF Noob!

I use a host called "The Well Thoughtout Hosting Company". they charge me £3 a month with support, I get 250Mb storage and a 2 gig bandwidth. It also supports ASP, which I find useful, they also support DSN connections to your database (useful as Dreamweaver uses a DSN connection if you want) and Access databases which I find better than having to mess around with MySQL and Apache server on my machine at home. I pretty much taught myself with DW and theres a really good tutorial site called Webthang that covers a lot. I can reccommend the Dreamweaver for Dummies book also. The great thing about DW is it's a wysiwig interface and a lot can be done through drag and drop.

Cheers, Lol

7. Quok1mb0

Quok1mb0 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i really appreciate all the help...looks like i am going to get a dreamweaver for dummies book and start messing around!! :) preciate much!

also whats 3 pounds translated into dollars?

8. digital flower

digital flower No longer a newbie, moving up!

To covert it I just times it by about 2 :wink:

Actually $5.61 with todays exchange rate.

9. Rabieshund

Rabieshund TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  10. Quok1mb0

Quok1mb0 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    91 bucks for a year domain name and 4000 MB's of space...thats not to bad now I just need to get on the ball with this dreamweaver buisness LoL

11. kkart

kkart TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Check out freehostia.com http://freehostia.com It is 100% free, and I am hosted on there and I am VERY impressed! I did a LOT of shopping around before I chose a hosting solution and a LOT of research. I happened upon them by accident actually, when reading reviews and was, and still am to this day, totally amazed at what they offer with no advertising anywhere on your site. My domain is hosted thru 1&1 and was $9.99 a year, only because I wanted to have email with my name on it for a professional look. If you wish to skip the email, you can register a domain at yahoo.com for $1.99 a year.

Here is what Freehostia offers:

Overview
    Absolutely FREE
    No setup fee
    Data storage: 250 MB
    Monthly bandwidth: 5 GB

Customer Support
    Free 24/7 technical support
    Detailed video tutorials
    Extensive documentation
    Integrated ticketing system
    Response time: 24 hours

Domains and Subdomains
    Hosting for 1 domain
    5 subdomains

Free Features
    Elefante free scripts (this things amazing...full php, wordpress, others from Cpanel)
    FrontPage Extensions

Site Statistics
    Detailed bandwidth stats

E-mail Features
    3 POP3 accounts
    3 Email aliases
    SpamAssassin protection
    E-mail filters
    Webmail service
    POP3 access/no SMTP
    "Catch-all" e-mails

Scripting and Database
    1 MySQL database
    10 MB MySQL DB space
    Perl enabled
    PHP enabled
    PHPMyAdmin
    Over 3,000 Perl modules

Site Management Tools
    Advanced Control Panel
    Multi-lingual control panel
    1 FTP account
    Web-based file manage

Misc Features
    Instant account activation
    SSL with certificate gen
    SSI (Server Side Includes)
    RAID secured data storage
    Easy upgrade options

OS and Backup
    Stable Linux with Apache
    UPS & diesel generator

Server and Connection
    Dual P4 XEON 2.8/1GB RAM
    2x160GB HDDs in RAID
    100 MBits conn. per server
    320 GBits data center conn.
    99.9% uptime guarantee

12. Renair

Renair TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My site is on www.freewebs.com They have a number of premium packages as well as free ones. Currently the site I have today www.renebruunphotography.com cost me approx $70 for 2 years including domain name. The sites are all templates so you dont need to know any html. Also there are some new designs coming up to make it even better.