Getting a website

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Bec, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Bec

Bec TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was not sure where to post this...so I thought I would put it in here. I am wanting to either start a website or something to show off my work...I have had several people telling me that I need to....on there I would like to give people a chance to buy my photographs...however I would like to have the saftey feature on them to where people could not copy them illegeally....if you could please give my any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Bec

2. ladywings

ladywings TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Unfortunately, there is no way to completely protect your images, at least not that I'm aware of. If you put your work online, there will always be a way that someone can copy it, if they know what they are doing.

3. John_Olexa

John_Olexa No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Some say watermarking the images helps a whole lot in preventing theft.

4. Bec

Bec TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have seen like an x you can put on them but I don't know how to do that...can you just do it on photo shop...what is the best way to put my images on the net...a website?...I have no clue how to even set one up....lol...that is free

5. bekaphoto

bekaphoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is a place where you can watermark an image and I think they can track it. It also works on has compatability with Photoshop. It ranges from $79-$499. www.digimarc.com

6. Bec

Bec TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think I can do it on photoshop...

7. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    invisible, traceable watermarks cost money. visible ones can be done with most graphics programs.

keep your resolution on your webpage low enough, that people cannot steal them to print properly. that is the best protection.

8. DHammer

DHammer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Check out Exposuremanager.com. I have used it for a couple of years and basically its as theft proof as it gets. They watermark the image, disable right click etc. etc. I have not had a huge problem with theft, at least that I know of, but a majority of my sales are to parents of high school athletes who tend to be less technologically inclined. I don't normally post weddings unless asked (and paid) to do so. But I sell the all the pictures to the bride anyway she can give them all away if she wants.

9. Bec

Bec TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    is that a website where I can set up my own website for free....thanks for the help...I really appreciate it.

10. pm63

pm63 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Number one rule: if they can see it, they can copy it, by one way or another.

You could put a semi-transparent logo diagonally across them, but the best thing is just to show them relatively low-res on your site, so people can see what they are buying, but they are not big enough to copy.

Don't go for free hosting: you get what you pay for and free hosting is rubbish. It also looks much more impressive when you have your own domain - clients will take you seriously as opposed to if you had a freewebs site or whatever.

Hosting is extremely cheap these days, so are domains.

11. Snyder

Snyder TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can add hidden meta data in your photos so when you type it in google it will show who else is using it on their site, I use it all the time to find where all my photos are being published. Though I want my photos to go everywhere. better coverage and it gets my name out there.

12. onedayillknowbetter

onedayillknowbetter TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In Photoshop's Lightroom, you can make Flash web galleries fairly easily. Like these fine people have said already, though, if you can see it, it can be copied.

Using flash makes it much harder for someone who isn't a hacker to steal your photos, but putting your watermark on an image in an HTML gallery allows your images to get out there more. Depends on what you want, I guess.