getting back into film

psykosis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all.

As you can tell I'm new here, but you all seem to have your heads on straight so I'm hoping I can tap you for a bit of information.

I've been shooting digital for quite some time now (10 years or more). Well, I seem to have an itch to try film again, black & white in particular. So I grabbed my old Minolta, a new battery, and a couple rolls of Kodak TMax 400. So I think I have the hardware set (or as set as it's going to be in the near future).

I have a car show coming up next weekend (July 31st-Aug. 2nd) that I'm bringing both my 40D and the Minolta to. I have a solid grasp of the 40D and shooting with it, but the Minolta (and film in general) kind of scares me a bit (fear of the unknown and all that...), so I now find myself here at TPF.

When I shoot with the minolta, what do I need to do/keep in mind in order to produce the best shots possible? I've read through the B&W Film articles here on the site, but I'm hoping for some more pointers. Do I need to do anything different with the shutter speed, apt, or exposure? The weather looks to be partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm, so barring the rain, the lighting should be decent. The shots will mostly be taken on a golf course as that's where the show is being held.

Really, the last time I touched film I was looking forward to high school, so I'm more than a bit rusty. Any help or direction any of you could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Aaron

The only differences you might encounter with exposure is with the type of light metering is in the old Minolta.
Your old Minolta probably has an averaging center weight meter. That should be fine for most images.

Do not be afraid of the Dark Side ... you will like it (again).

The only differences you might encounter with exposure is with the type of light metering is in the old Minolta.
Your old Minolta probably has an averaging center weight meter. That should be fine for most images.

Do not be afraid of the Dark Side ... you will like it (again).

So shoot just as I do with my digital?

Yes. What you might want to do is since you're bring both your Minolta and 40D is see what each camera's light meter says at the same exposure setting. You want to make sure your Minolta isn't way off. Sometimes the light meters fail on old film cameras.

Yes. What you might want to do is since you're bring both your Minolta and 40D is see what each camera's light meter says at the same exposure setting. You want to make sure your Minolta isn't way off. Sometimes the light meters fail on old film cameras.

gotcha.

I run this setup w/my D40x and Nikon N80 w/a 50 mm prime lense on the N80...Interesting results can occur--I was up in Hanging Lake Co. and the babbling brook photos came out much better w/the N80 than w/D40x. If I'm not mistaken your ISO setting on the 40D will effect the exposure setting so make sure they're copacetic w/the film.:meh:

have a good one
3Eo

You fail to mention how the film will be processed and printed.

If you are simply going to send it to a lab for their processing and printing, you need to keep in mind that you did not shoot prints, you shot negatives. The prints you recieve are the lab's choice for reproducing your negatives. Bad prints don't necessarily mean bad negatives. If you recieve prints that you think are not optimal, inspect the negatives before jumping to the conclusion you make a mistake in-camera. You well may have, but then again it may be the lab's poor choice for exposure.

You fail to mention how the film will be processed and printed.

If you are simply going to send it to a lab for their processing and printing, you need to keep in mind that you did not shoot prints, you shot negatives. The prints you recieve are the lab's choice for reproducing your negatives. Bad prints don't necessarily mean bad negatives. If you recieve prints that you think are not optimal, inspect the negatives before jumping to the conclusion you make a mistake in-camera. You well may have, but then again it may be the lab's poor choice for exposure.

these will be sent to a local lab for processing. I'll be getting the negatives, prints, and a cd copy of all shots.

Most reactions

Back