Getting back into it. Need advice.

U_niq

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, My name is Nick and this is my first post. I have been into photography for awhile and I used a minolta film camera that my dad gave me(it was old then) Well it broke a couple years ago and I havent had money for a new one but now I am getting back into it. I want to go digital but I will be starting from scratch again. I was recommended a Canon 30d. Is this a good camera? I was also looking at the Nikon d50 because it seems cheaper. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

hmm, digital, well
since you are sure you will like photography, you will find the 30d to be better camera, more pro anyway. but obviusly as long as its got aperture and shutter, its got all you need!

I thought Nikon was a really good company is canon just out performing them now?

there is no really big difference between cameras these days, atleast i think so, you should go with the camera that feels best in the hand, and has functions that works the best for the shots you want to do

i had a nikon d50 and it works incredible.

i have been involved in photography for 4 years now going on 5.

:)

Do u have minolta lenses? More than one?

Consider sony too. They sqeezed out a puppy DSLR recently, but I've never tried it.

30D is good. Rebel XT is good too.

It's all good. You'll upgrade your computer and will spend a couple grand in lenses... if you keep at it.

I may have still have one minolta lense with the burnt up body.

More than likely you have a lens with the old Minolta lensmount, not the newer one. All the new Minolta digitals, including the new Sony DSLR take the newer Maxxum mount. I still say go with minolta though, but like Jonasr_jp said, it's such a personal preferance, go feel them out, see what feels best in your hands, which button layout you prefer, and is also in your price range. Don't ever listen to anyone who tries to convince you one brand is better, myself included. =)
Good luck!

you should know that 30d is much more profesional camera than nikon d50. And it is much more expensive. I think that at the beginning you will love your nikon d50, simply because it is easier and has less functions and buttons than canon's 30d. And I know a guy who gave up photography because the camera he bought for a start (nikon d200) was too difficult for him.

Go to a camera shop and play with a bunch of different cameras, any DSLR from Nikon or Canon will be fine. You need to see which camera feels better in your hands and which has the controls in a place logical to you. It's a personal decision based on what you like. All you'll get if you ask others is them telling you what fits them personally and what works for one doesn't work for everyone.

I completely disagree ... Nikon is the best. Jk.

IMO the differences between dSLR's are relatively minimal unless you compare cameras in different price ranges. I researched dSLR's for a bit and read a ton of reviews and the take-away I got was that there are differences but the conditions under which you'd notice them are more extreme than you'd ever really care to know (like prints blown-up to gigantic proportions and looked at under magnifying glass for imperfections)

There's a new Nikon coming out soon and it seems like more companies are jumping on the dSLR band-wagon so my only suggestion would be to take your time doing the homework and maybe the prices will drop by the time you're ready. Either way you go though... I doubt you'll be disappointed.

dsp921 said:
... All you'll get if you ask others is them telling you what fits them personally and what works for one doesn't work for everyone.

Good luck in your decision. Above posters are correct, the 30d and d50 are not in the same category. First two things would be research your choices long and hard (easy to do on the internet), and decide on a budget. The nikon is nice for $550, the Canon is nice for $1300... All the cameras from the main players are great these days.

Most reactions

Back