Getting back into photography - C&C please!

sjconner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.conner-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I haven't done any serious work since my film SLR was stolen (1990). I was finally able to purchase a DSLR - a red Pentax K-X. I took some pictures at the branding we just had; our family raises red angus cattle and horses. The only pp work was to manually adjust the levels a bit and tried out auto contrast and color. That's all I know how to do in photoshop - so far.

Thanks!

ReadytoRide.jpg

bawling.jpg

Dude.jpg

hogsback.jpg

Wow, I really like them all, but #4 is my favourite. For my eye, there's a sliver of distracting light running across the top of photo #1 that I would have cropped out. But it's still a really nice shot.

Movin' to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon!

Thanks. I haven't cropped them yet. I need to remember to include more space around my subjects. There isn't a good way to crop the horse to an 8x10 without cutting off his nose or ears.

Susan

I really like them all esp #2 Great work!

Number 1 would have been a whole lot better had you shot from an angle where the riders can't be seen.

3 is crooked. It's the only one I dont like. His face looks... swollen? I think its just the angle.

The rest are really nice, though the light on the calfs head is kinda bright in 2, but 4 is my favorite! Your scenery is stunning, and those red cattle really stick out against the grays and browns.

Lazy Photographer said:
Movin' to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon!
Zappa is amazing! :D

The horse in number three is a stallion and he has pretty heavy jaws. He was watching my daughters playing. Thanks for all your comments!

Susan

Could someone describe to me how to fix the overexposed parts? I know how to do it with an enlarger and film but not photoshop. I have photoshop 7.

Thanks,
Susan

Susan, you can't really fix an over exposed parts in photoshop. The details that are lost are lost for good.

On my DSLR there are two features I like that let me know I have blown out area on my images....the highlight feature, which blinks any area in the photo thats blown out on the lcd. And the histogram.....read up on how to read a histogram if you havent already - thats the bar chart you see on the upper right hand corner in photoshop.

Your photos look great, 3 is my favorite, but that is too bad your cant crop it to an 8x10 - still a great photo

Lovely picture number 1.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back