Getting Back into Photography, Landscape Shots

dsdshutterbug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just starting to get back into photography. I've always enjoyed landscape photos, so this is where I'm starting. Here are a few images from our November camping trip.

falls59a.jpg

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr342/dsdshutterbug/Ithaca/falls_1-1.jpg
falls_1-1.jpg

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr342/dsdshutterbug/Ithaca/tremanfalls.jpg
tremanfalls.jpg

lfalls.jpg

Let me know what you think, I can take constructive criticism

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:
First is PERFECT. The smoothness is perfect! It also has a hint of blue in it, I love it. It looks like good print quality to me! Id make a large print of that and hang it in my house!

Second, Flat, needs a color boost!

Third, appears to have some camera shake. I would suggest a longer shutter for a smoother water affect. Like the first one. =D

Fourth, nice, i think the shutter speed might be a little TOO long, but its good how it is, try a CPOL so the sky isnt blown out.

Fifth, again, longer shutter and it would be nice. :)

Overall, nice work. I agree with prodigy, however a CPOL wouldn't actually do much for the sky in #4; light grey overcast is impossible (or nearly so) to work with. It would however boos the colours, saturation and constrast in all your images, and is well worth using for almost all out of door shots.

Thank you both for your advice it is much appreciated. I'm in the learning stages and looking for all the help I can get.

dave

Where are these shot at? They look beautiful.

1. I think the left waterfall looks good but the right water fall looks very flat. maybe thats just me though.
4 and 5 are cool!!

Thanks Dan. These were taken in Ithaca NY. There is a 5 mile hike, (one way) that leads you through gorges and a chain of waterfalls. My pictures don't come close to doing justice to the beauty of this place. Ithaca NY is in the Fingerlakes Region of Upstate NY. There are many hiking areas within a 20 mile radius, most of them include chains of water falls and running streams. Shot #4 is called Taugenhook Falls and is 250 feet high.

Wow, how experienced where you when you gave it up before? Those photographs are great, especially number two and four.

I like #2 the best & that is a tough shot with the high contrasts between light & dark. Contrary to the opinions of others I like water to look like water & not plastic, so I would be using a faster shutter to "stop" the water.

Ron, the only guy in the parade in step.

Thanks Mr. Stu. I had played with photography for about a year and then got so busy neglected to get back to it. I'm going to make a serious effort this time. Ron, point well taken. I will do more experimenting and post results. Thanks for the kind comments from you guys.

Dave

Most reactions

New Topics

Back