Getting desperate. How do I get a 35mm Negative enlarged to a 16x20?

Your biggest expense will probably be the 16 by 20 paper, I bet a box of that will cost you more than your enlarger.

Therein lies the problem; unless you're planning to do a lot of darkroom printing, it's a major expense to get the gear and get yourself to the point where you're ready to risk a sheet of 16x20.

I'd agree that if you do a good bit of 8x10 and larger prints from film, you'll get your money's worth out of the darkroom pretty quickly, but if it's just something you do once every few months, it's better to find someone who is already set up and experienced to do it for you.

I used to print a lot of B&W 16x20 prints from 35 mm negs in the darkroom. The graininess is what it is - as long as the enlarger lens does a decent job. Film graininess isn't like pixellated or oversmoothed digital images. Lenses that can make a reasonable 8x10 print may not be able to make a sharp 16x20. The enlarger needs to be moderately sturdy as well, so there is no softening from movement. I'd say that DIY traditional printing is the easiest way of getting decent B&W 16x20 prints without major expense. You can also use fibre-based paper quite easily.

I never printed borderless 16x20s - they would be more like 12x18. That's only a 12x enlargement, which is within the range of good quality standard enlarging lenses intended for 35 mm (ie you don't need a high magnification enlarging lens).

Now that I print digitally most of the time, my normal print size from 35 mm is roughly 14 x 21 (on 17x22 paper). That is a 14x enlargement. This corresponds to an unresampled 4000 ppi (some use 'spi') scan printed at 288 ppi - a sweet spot for many Epson printers. As long as the scan is a good one - ie the true scanner resolution is close to 4000 ppi - I am likely to be happy with the print.

That's the problem with consumer flatbeds - they may produce files with pixel dimensions corresponding to 4800 pixels per inch, but their optics and mechanics aren't really capable of that degree of precision. Even the better Epsons and Microteks are only really capable of about 2000 ppi at best.

I don't think that a 300 ppi 8x10 will give you a good indication of what a 16x20 will look like, unless it is made from a quarter of the neg.

If printing via an online printer, look for one that uses real B&W paper rather than colour paper. This is another topic we can discuss.

Best,
Helen

so, you're telling me in this thread that film is supposed to be much better than my 40Ds as far as IQ.

BUT, now everyone's saying that I actually can't get even a decent 16x20 out of a 35mm frame?

It's a b*tch isn't it? When everyone is saying one thing, and your eyes are obviously telling you another. ;) I say as long as you don't have a history of hallucinations or serious vision problems trust your own eyes.

I did my own processing and printing in my darkroom for a decade, and gave up on 35mm film for most prints larger than 8"x12" long before I tried digital. There's nothing wrong with grain, if that's a flavor you like. If you like bigger prints from film that look clean you're going to want to try medium or large format.

Last edited:
they were talking about medium and large format film in that thread, which is better than digital .

they were talking about medium and large format film in that thread, which is better than digital .

Not the whole post:

HelenB said:
I wish that my 12 megapixel D3 was capable of recording as much detail as I can get from the best current 35 mm films, and that it had the same dynamic range.

Thanks for the responses.

silly people today thing all photos are viewed from 2 inchs away

If you are think about continuing to shoot film you may want to thing about getting a film scanner. A top of the line 35mm only scanner goes for under $600

Last edited:
silly people today thing all photos are viewed from 2 inchs away

If you are think about continuing to shoot film you may want to thing about getting a film scanner. A top of the line 35mm only scanner goes for under $600

Do you have any examples of a decent film scanner?

Yes, I would like to continue shooting B&W film quite a bit more, as long as the negatives afterword will actually be useful to some extent.

So, taking a step back...with shooting film, what good would a Canon 8800F do me? What potential does that have?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Canon-CanoScan-Negative-Scanner-2168B002/dp/B000V2QCQI[/ame]

well if you have the money you would be better off with the epson v700, although it is the around the same price as the dedicated negative scanners that the other recommended. A dark room would be best like someone said. Better yet would be to take a B&W course at your community college and use their equipment plus you would get critiques and learn more about film:)

You realize though that a 16x20 matted photo takes up quite a bit of room. Matting usually adds 2 1/2 to 3 inches extra on all sides of the picture. So the final size not including a frame is 22" x26".

Even a matted 11" x 14" is a good sized picture to hang on a wall

Last edited:
A film scanner would be nice to have, but its cheaper to get some dark room equipment and learn the skills. Having a darkroom is so much fun, and people are always willing to take you more seriously as a photographer if you have some dark room equipment, its totally a status symbol.

A film scanner would be nice to have, but its cheaper to get some dark room equipment and learn the skills. Having a darkroom is so much fun, and people are always willing to take you more seriously as a photographer if you have some dark room equipment, its totally a status symbol.

dark room equip is cheaper than a film scanner?

Yeah I would really like to set up a little darkroom myself, but I don't have the space, I like your idea of buying used college equipment, you sure got a deal!!

latey I have been developing my own B&W, and scan them into my computer with my epson V500 so I can look at them. But if I want them printed I'll have to send the negative away.

Printing pictures in a darkroom is one of the coolest things ever!! You stick a white piece of paper in the developer and a few seconds later and, pooft the picture appears.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back