getting fedup with the biz

I have a friend who one day decided to buy a new camera. She asked my advice and I gave it to her happily. Within weeks, she was booking weddings and now has a bustling business in less than a year. She is constantly working while I struggle to book anything.

Are her photographs anything special? No, not really. In fact, just about everyone is doing the same style these days and she's very cookie cutter.

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out why she's booking hand over fist and I've only booked one this year. The reason? She's perky, outgoing, networks at church, has a huge group of friends, networks like mad, goes to every shoot-out she can, and constantly talks about her business. She also posts new images on her Facebook almost daily.

Do I do any of that? Some. I also realized that networking is key. I need to do more of it and make talking about my business my business. Word of mouth is the best way to get new clients. I've been shooting longer than this gal and she's making it in less than a year. Very frustrating. I don't put myself out there enough. That's changing this year. I'll be going out more, telling people about my work, and continuing to build an outstanding wedding portfolio to show. I will not be outdone by a GWC.

Excellent attitude!!!!!!! That is what is going to get the jobs.

I also owe you a big up. I checked GURU.com after your original post and have been making good money from that site.

Love & Bass

Going to give you some sobering advice and some straight up honest information. Some of this has already been posted but I am 18 years in this business and I think that may carry some weight. Price means something if you can't produce the goods. If you can produce the goods, then pricing is relative to your skill level and uniqueness. In 2010, anyone who has ever taken a shot of a flower at high noon at f16 and had any luck with over half of the flower being in focus is the following: A photographer.

THATS the good news.. Unfortunately that is the bad news as well. There is no denying that the digital age has produced hundreds of thousands of people who now think of themselves as photographers because aunt Suzy saw a picture they shot of her baby nephew where one of the kids eyes was in focus. It isn't going to get any better as time goes on. The days when you could become a success at working and honing your craft to become someone whose product stands out amongst the crowd of uncle Bob's photo services has come to a screeching halt. If you are frustrated NOW, just wait another month and it will be 300 times worse till you give it up. Uncle Bob will shoot a picture for the newspaper that with 30 minutes of post photoshop work you can almost determine what he was shooting simply for the recognition of seeing "courtesy of uncle bobs photo service," in the paper. Billy the drunk will shoot a wedding for a 6 pack of budweiser and 2 pieces of cake.

In 2010 you either have some serious contacts who'll hire you despite the fact Sally next door took a picture of her dog one time and offers to shoot for gas money and a diet coke, OR, you are so extremely talented that Annie Lebowitz is looking over her shoulder to see if you're gaining on her. Hate to put it to you like this since you are already frustrated but I think it's best to know the ugly truth than to be schmucked into thinking the smell coming from your rotting client base is just the black mold growing on your hopes and dreams. Wish I had better news for you.

mike zukerman photography

I am sorry you had such a hard time in the photography biz Michael. The effects of hobbyists trying to become pro is changing the market but it is not as grim as you depict. Yes the market is changing. Only means that photographers have to adapt their marketing and services.

Since we are talking in generalities. I can say that photography is thriving here in LA. The GWC's and their clients have Craigslist. The rest of us are finding success because web businesses need constant photography. In the short time that I have been in LA I have found that there is work for everyone as long as you put some time into marketing.

I should mention that I am a commercial photographer. I think the retail world is being hit a little harder.

Love & Bass

I had to re-look at the original post Craig to see if you were speaking to me, or someone else and I still don't know. But I don't find the photography business particularly tough for myself in case you were speaking to me. My post was meant for a newbie who is looking to get into the business in 2010 who might think like a lot of people do, buy an slr, get a 3 dollar led flashlight, and quit the day job.. My business rests nicely on 18 years of experience and I'm very happy I'm not just now trying to get a foothold out there. If you weren't speaking to ME, as Gilda would say, never mind..

mike zukerman photography

I am speaking to you Iconic image. I guess I should have said that instead of Michael in the opening sentence.

I get what you are saying. 5 years ago I think it was totally true. These days newbies and especially clients are wising up to serious photography. Generally speaking of course.

Love & Bass

Boy it's been a few good years since I posted here...man time flies. Well, these are all very good replies. Not sure if the last statement was for me or not. I'm certainly no noob to photography or even video or audio engineering. At the time I wrote the original post I was doing photography for MY studio for about 5 years with a declining client base. I spent 12 hours a day on my day job, which includes travel, everyday. Then, coming home to a family, and staying up till midnight in marketing and posting and advertising almost every night, having to get up at 5am to do it again. I did this for a few years. Not sure how I lasted. I had to stop because I couldn't do it anymore. Funds for marketing in the Chicago mags ran out, and all marketing stopped. I have since relied just on my website to get maybe 4 photo clients a year...this year will be 5. I don't need it to survive, but, rather, to supplement what my family needs. I don't have a partner or investors. I did it all myself and at one time had 20 weddings a year. Not bad considering I was a one man show handling everything from start to finish including wedding albums to website to prints with the lab, and everything inbetween. I'm not really trying now either, just relying on my website with very little emails or calls. I did however sign a nice wedding client today for next year who just happened to find my website. I wish I had 18 years of client base that I could keep pulling from, but, I don't. For me it's great fun and I still run my biz, working with clients as I get them...and I get more sleep now too. I also make more money because I don't have to blow it all in marketing, just to make enough money on the next wedding to blow it all again in marketing month to month. this economy hasn't helped either. I know a lot of studios that have cut shooters in half and dropped prices dramatically.

What the Iconic Image had to say was spot on for the new generation of amateurs looking to turn pro, but it's not even that they are looking to build a business, what they are looking to do is make some extra cash on the weekends, many have no intention of going though the steps to make what they call a professional photographic business a real business. They don't pay taxes on the money they make, they don't pay any professional fees, and many of them are still working the 9-5 jobs. I have no problem if someone wants to take a shot at becoming a professional but to understand what it's like, or what it's going to be like, quit the day job use the money you have in the bank as start up and see how long it lasts until it's not fun anymore. My business has been affected to a certain degree by the weekend semi-professional amateur, as a guy explained to me a few weeks ago as how he defines himself. I don't shoot weddings, I have a good friend that does and send requests his way, it's professional courtesy and mutual respect for another professional. I have day rates, but am not strick about them, as I believe that day rates are a things of the past, I work within clients budgets now. I recently undercut a weekend amateur who had been working in my home town shooting sports for years, seems that when you offer skills and experience to the right people and back it up with the images, the amateurs don't look so good anymore. After decades of shooting, working from the start, getting a few breaks along the way, and being respected as a sports photographer, I find going full circle back to the grass roots for work. The bottom line for me on this is, I'll take any work that comes along. It's not often that 13-14 year old kids playing football are having their games covered by a photographer that has had credit lines in Sports Illustrated.

Digital has changed eveything good and bad, and any established photographer that hasn't been affected by it to some degree is either lying or very lucky.

Most reactions

Back