Getting Frustrated... :(

chammer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have been sending out countless emails to everyone i can find via craigslist trying to find a model to do a tfcd shoot with me. only one has responded but i feel like she is just stringing me along as she wont commit to anything. i have done everything (i think) i can do to make her and everyone i contact feel safe and that im not some psycho axe murderer, and have proposed very public locations to do the shoots yet still no commitments.

i've heard model mayhem is a good place to search for tfcd models to practice with, but alas...in order to actually get active you need 4 photos of 2 different models...catch 22. :(

are there any other sites, or anything more i can do to help land a model for a photo shoot short of offering tons of money (which i cant do or afford)?

i'd appreciate any help and/or advice.

i have been sending out countless emails to everyone i can find via craigslist trying to find a model to do a tfcd shoot with me......
i'd appreciate any help and/or advice.
spaM shoulD work. I don'T geT whY peoplE aren'T flockinG tO youR shootS.

caN yoU posT a samplE e-maiL. maybE youR jusT wordinG iT poorlY.

i've heard model mayhem is a good place to search for tfcd models to practice with, but alas...in order to actually get active you need 4 photos of 2 different models...catch 22. :(

What about sisters, friends, girls friend, etc....

They might be willing to dedicate an afternoon or two to help you out. Sure they might not be professionals, but it would certainly be a step in the right direction and let you show people that your serious about things - as well as give them an idea for your compositions and the look that your looking to create.

Model Mayhem.

Do as said above, they can be any adult.

Word your profile well.

Mayhem is a weird place so dont worry about non returned PMs.

Cash Money Casting call at a rate of 20.00 hour or 100.00 flat for a long day of shooting. Give a creative twist idea on the shoot.

Set up stylist/MUA if its in the budget. expect about 200,00 for that part but its worth it.

Dan

I'd go with friends and family first. Offer to buy them dinner for the shoot.

I have a friend who will model for me in a few weeks who I had to bribe with a photography lesson. So a 2 hour hands on lesson on the basics of photography (ISO, aperture, shutter, composition) for a 2 hour modeling session with her and her boyfriend :)

thanks for the advice, but sadly i have no friends or family that will do this lol. my gf doesnt want to model either. so im stuck going it alone basically.

deadeye: the point was that i cant finish signing up for model mayhem until i already have at least 4 different types of pictures showing at least 2 different models. im stuck in limbo until then. also stated that i am unable to pay at this time, and from what i gather trading a cd for a models time is fairly common...especially for the newer models who dont already have a good portfolio.

kmh: i dont understand what you're trying to say, and why the need for alternating upper/lower case. im not spamming. i simply write an email based on *their* ad looking to see if they were willing to trade their time for pictures that i take via a cd or any other medium.

this is why i came here to ask. all i know of is model mayhem (which im stuck on until i get pictures) and craigslist. i was curious to see if there were other sites like these two that i could also try my search on.

There is Onemodelplace.com....but I'm not sure if it's any easier to sign up there than at MM.

Something like this is mostly about selling yourself...you need to be confident and be able to convince someone that it's a good idea. If you can't convince your friends, family or girlfriend to pose for you...it might be an uphill battle finding models without having an existing portfolio.

Some of the 'best' photographers have very outgoing personalities...they could walk down the street and find someone to pose for them, without that person even knowing they are a well known photographer. This attitude also goes a long way to getting good shots because it relaxes the model and gives them a connection.
I've taken several classes and seminars from some great photographers and the common trait seems to be a very outgoing (exuberant, exciting) personality. Of course, that's probably why they are the one teaching or speaking...but it certainly is something that helps a lot...and something that many photographers (me included) need to work on.

thank you, bigmike, that was extremely helpful! i will check that site out as well. i guess i can press family and friends a bit more as well. i doubt i could walk down the street and just pick up a stranger though lol. :p

You might also consider a small fee. Sometimes, even just a little bit of money is enticement enough because it's no longer a 'free shoot'.

You might also consider a small fee. Sometimes, even just a little bit of money is enticement enough because it's no longer a 'free shoot'.

Good thought.

And, if you're really concerned there's some suspicion about you, ask your wife/girlfriend to "help" with the shoot and let your model know that she will be there too.

-Pete

You don't have a single friend that will sit for you? Wow. Are you a some kind of super weirdo? :lol: Just kidding, of course.

You have one model, no matter what. You. Do a couple decent self-portraits and you're half way there.

And your dogs should help with the second one. I mean, come on, dogs are a great way to start conversations and that is all you need. Figure out a way to go from talking about dogs to modeling. MM didn't exist when I was looking for models and I never had any problem. And I was shooting nudes.

Do you have an art school in your area? That may be your answer. Exchange modeling time for modeling time.

Come on buddy, get creative. What I have seen on MM means you don't need much to get in. I know you can figure out a way to do it. Does it even say it has to be human models? :lmao: Can you get your GF to pose if she shares the frame with one of the dogs?

yea, it has to be people (adults) only. cant be kids or pets. shame...with all the silly puppies i have i could post a zillion pics lol! :)

here's where im stuck and here's their requirements....

Your account is not active yet! Your account must be approved by a moderator first. In order to get approved by a moderator, you must do 2 things. Upload at least 4 photos and fill out your profile page. Once this is done, we will add you to the approval queue. PLEASE CHECK OUT THE REQUIREMENTS FOR APPROVAL!

Photographer Requirements
Show Us A Model
Photographers must have at least 4 different photos specifically of adult human models. Children, cars, landscapes, animals, etc do not count.

Show Us Variety
Please provide at least 2 different models or 2 different locations.

i just dont get out much. im one of those sad people (until recently) that went to work, came home, played on the net/gamed all night. the camera has gotten me more out of the house in the past 2 months than i have been in several years. yes...im sad. i know lol. :p

no idea about art school, but i'll check and see. i recently (couple nights ago) signed up for 2 photography groups in my area. sadly, however, each of the meet ups they have schedule involve week days either early in the morning or early in the evening...both times falling on times when im either on the way or still at work. argh!

i have done a couple self portraits (if you recall me posting them), but i didnt think they were all that great.

the gf says she would let me take pictures of her, but for practice only. i wouldnt be allowed to post them anywhere (not even here). :(

thanks, c.cloudwalker!

pete: that sounds good too! i'll ask the gf and see if she'd be willing to help (hold the reflector or something), and then mention that in my replies as well.

I use model mayhem all the time and I have 8 shoots in the time span of a few weeks. It's a great resource, when you post photos, just have 4 different images of whoever, they don't have to be good...a lot of stuff on model mayhem sucks.

Try Meetup.com. You can find all sorts of groups that meet locally. I have joined a few photography groups in my area. One is actually pretty good.

Also try Google Groups, Flickr Groups and Strobist Groups in your local area. Surely you can find something and then network.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you with MM. Gots to find models myself.

There are willing TFP Models all over you just have to sell yourself with a little honesty and share a little creativity for the shoot when you describe what you want to do. DO NOT oversell yourself going in. If you come off as trying too hard you will spook these girls, remember most of them are just getting started and they have all heard the stories of the creepy GWC who said he wanted to do a fashion shoot and then coerced the model into shooting nudes while he did not wear pants.

Here is a sample of a contact to a model that works

Hi xxxxxxxx, my name is xxxxxxxxx and I am an aspiring fashion photographer. (or what ever style photographer you aspire to be)

I have been shooting landscapes, family and street photography for X# years and would now like to try my hand working with some models and see if I have an aptitude for it.

I would like to discuss booking you for a TFP fashion shoot at (name your location or studio) Before booking I would like to meet with you and a chaperon at a local Starbucks where we can discuss in detail the themes, wardrobe, makeup and hair and compensation for the shoot. (If you are unsure that you can produce photos that will benefit the model then offer to provide some wardrobe items that she can keep. Clothing is like money to most girls.)

If you are interested in discussing this booking further please respond here or give me a call at the number below.

Best regards,
Your Name
Cell Phone
Email Address
Website or galleries of previous work if you have it to show.

Then when you meet with the girl have someone female come with you to the meeting. Sit and discuss what you would like to accomplish, how you would like to use the images, how she can use the images and what you are willing to offer her.

Explain how the shoot will be structured, who will be there, if the chaperon is OK to join (early on in your model shooting I would say NEVER BE ALONE with a young inexperienced model)

Be confident in your abilities to produce the images you want to produce but not cocky. Above all else do everything you can to come off as a decent trustworthy guy and you will book some girls. Once you start to develop a portfolio of model shots the booking will come easier but expect a lot of flakes until you reach a point where your portfolio speaks for its self and the girls feel like they have to have your work in their portfolios.

In the end it all comes down to your personal social skills. I know for most guys talking to beautiful young women and doing so with a smooth confidence is not a strong point but after a while you will come to realize that most of these beautiful young women are as timid and unsure of themselves as you are yourself. You have to be comfortable to encourage comfort.

Most reactions

Back