Getting Frustrated... :(

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by chammer, Sep 9, 2009.

1. chammer

chammer TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    i have been sending out countless emails to everyone i can find via craigslist trying to find a model to do a tfcd shoot with me. only one has responded but i feel like she is just stringing me along as she wont commit to anything. i have done everything (i think) i can do to make her and everyone i contact feel safe and that im not some psycho axe murderer, and have proposed very public locations to do the shoots yet still no commitments.

i've heard model mayhem is a good place to search for tfcd models to practice with, but alas...in order to actually get active you need 4 photos of 2 different models...catch 22. :(

are there any other sites, or anything more i can do to help land a model for a photo shoot short of offering tons of money (which i cant do or afford)?

i'd appreciate any help and/or advice.

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    spaM shoulD work. I don'T geT whY peoplE aren'T flockinG tO youR shootS.

caN yoU posT a samplE e-maiL. maybE youR jusT wordinG iT poorlY.

3. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    What about sisters, friends, girls friend, etc....

They might be willing to dedicate an afternoon or two to help you out. Sure they might not be professionals, but it would certainly be a step in the right direction and let you show people that your serious about things - as well as give them an idea for your compositions and the look that your looking to create.

4. DeadEye

DeadEye TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Model Mayhem.

Do as said above, they can be any adult.

Word your profile well.

Mayhem is a weird place so dont worry about non returned PMs.

Cash Money Casting call at a rate of 20.00 hour or 100.00 flat for a long day of shooting. Give a creative twist idea on the shoot.

Set up stylist/MUA if its in the budget. expect about 200,00 for that part but its worth it.

Dan

5. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd go with friends and family first. Offer to buy them dinner for the shoot.

I have a friend who will model for me in a few weeks who I had to bribe with a photography lesson. So a 2 hour hands on lesson on the basics of photography (ISO, aperture, shutter, composition) for a 2 hour modeling session with her and her boyfriend :)

6. chammer

chammer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks for the advice, but sadly i have no friends or family that will do this lol. my gf doesnt want to model either. so im stuck going it alone basically.

deadeye: the point was that i cant finish signing up for model mayhem until i already have at least 4 different types of pictures showing at least 2 different models. im stuck in limbo until then. also stated that i am unable to pay at this time, and from what i gather trading a cd for a models time is fairly common...especially for the newer models who dont already have a good portfolio.

kmh: i dont understand what you're trying to say, and why the need for alternating upper/lower case. im not spamming. i simply write an email based on *their* ad looking to see if they were willing to trade their time for pictures that i take via a cd or any other medium.

this is why i came here to ask. all i know of is model mayhem (which im stuck on until i get pictures) and craigslist. i was curious to see if there were other sites like these two that i could also try my search on.

7. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is Onemodelplace.com....but I'm not sure if it's any easier to sign up there than at MM.

Something like this is mostly about selling yourself...you need to be confident and be able to convince someone that it's a good idea. If you can't convince your friends, family or girlfriend to pose for you...it might be an uphill battle finding models without having an existing portfolio.

Some of the 'best' photographers have very outgoing personalities...they could walk down the street and find someone to pose for them, without that person even knowing they are a well known photographer. This attitude also goes a long way to getting good shots because it relaxes the model and gives them a connection.
    I've taken several classes and seminars from some great photographers and the common trait seems to be a very outgoing (exuberant, exciting) personality. Of course, that's probably why they are the one teaching or speaking...but it certainly is something that helps a lot...and something that many photographers (me included) need to work on.

8. chammer

chammer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thank you, bigmike, that was extremely helpful! i will check that site out as well. i guess i can press family and friends a bit more as well. i doubt i could walk down the street and just pick up a stranger though lol. :p

9. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You might also consider a small fee. Sometimes, even just a little bit of money is enticement enough because it's no longer a 'free shoot'.

10. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Good thought.

And, if you're really concerned there's some suspicion about you, ask your wife/girlfriend to "help" with the shoot and let your model know that she will be there too.

-Pete

11. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You don't have a single friend that will sit for you? Wow. Are you a some kind of super weirdo? :lol: Just kidding, of course.

You have one model, no matter what. You. Do a couple decent self-portraits and you're half way there.

And your dogs should help with the second one. I mean, come on, dogs are a great way to start conversations and that is all you need. Figure out a way to go from talking about dogs to modeling. MM didn't exist when I was looking for models and I never had any problem. And I was shooting nudes.

Do you have an art school in your area? That may be your answer. Exchange modeling time for modeling time.

Come on buddy, get creative. What I have seen on MM means you don't need much to get in. I know you can figure out a way to do it. Does it even say it has to be human models? :lmao: Can you get your GF to pose if she shares the frame with one of the dogs?

12. chammer

chammer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yea, it has to be people (adults) only. cant be kids or pets. shame...with all the silly puppies i have i could post a zillion pics lol! :)

here's where im stuck and here's their requirements....

i just dont get out much. im one of those sad people (until recently) that went to work, came home, played on the net/gamed all night. the camera has gotten me more out of the house in the past 2 months than i have been in several years. yes...im sad. i know lol. :p

no idea about art school, but i'll check and see. i recently (couple nights ago) signed up for 2 photography groups in my area. sadly, however, each of the meet ups they have schedule involve week days either early in the morning or early in the evening...both times falling on times when im either on the way or still at work. argh!

i have done a couple self portraits (if you recall me posting them), but i didnt think they were all that great.

the gf says she would let me take pictures of her, but for practice only. i wouldnt be allowed to post them anywhere (not even here). :(

thanks, c.cloudwalker!

pete: that sounds good too! i'll ask the gf and see if she'd be willing to help (hold the reflector or something), and then mention that in my replies as well.