Getting harrased at border crossings.

I used to live in Vancouver.

Vancouver/Bellingham border has always been the worst.

I got through easier lying about going to Bellingham to shop or going to Seattle to party, than telling the truth about anything else I was doing.

I was called into the office and had my car searched about 50% of the time (probably the times I didn't lie)

I find nothing out of the ordinary in your story as far as entering the states.

However, it's amazing how much hassle you got for coming back to Canada!?

I have never been bothered by them. I think I've only stepped into the office once and that took all of 10 secs.

Was there something else going on at that time that neither country wanted you taking pictures of? This is really odd.

I agree that you should print up some business cards and say you're getting shots for your portfolio or you have a job. Something like that.

Driving through the border randomly to take pictures is kind of odd to a normal person and border partrol is paranoid normal people. Not to mention, it sounds like you were on your own and you weren't going to meet with anyone.

One other thing, don't go to the Vancouver/Bellingham crossing, there is an exit earlier that goes to the truck stop border. It's way faster and the patrol there is concentrated on x-raying trucks, not checking private cars. It's much more smooth going through there. Usually the trucks will park to the side while waiting in line so you don't have to line up with them. You can always turn around and continue to the Van/Bell crossing if they're blocking the road either way.

Hmm, I think I am going to get some business cards. Thats a good idea.
Yeah I went down via the pacific highway crossing but came back via the Blaine Peace Arch crossing.
Maybe they were just jittery because of the long weekend is so busy for them. Or just excited that they will be getting firearms from the government for the first time soon (no joke).

Thank god Europe is very relaxed ... just when it comes to air traffic and crossing borders by plane, then Europe is much more complicated than the US.

Airport security is usually way higher in Europe, with the UK being the most extreme.

This all just reminds me of those French airport security which dragged me out of the line because I had all my camera gear with me. They actualy wanted me to put the batteries into my telephoto lens and switch it on. Took quite some time to explain that it does not have any slot for batteries ;) ;)

I worked on the Alaska pipeline for 22 years. During that time I drove up the Alcan hiway a number of times. I have never been treated so nasty or talked to so rudely as by the border crossing guards in that Canadian post. I will never go to Canada again even to visit. They are way beyond rude. Anyone else talking like that would be picking up teeth. I highly recommend against touring in BC.

Travel in Europe - all depends... I can't speak about northern or west central europe, but in south/ south eastern europe, nope, it's not a simple slowing down to notice the change in language anymore.

It's becoming MUCH more irritating at the borders. I've had my car searched, been asked the 1,000's of questions, etc all while my 2 kids were sleeping in the back seat!!!

The last couple of years I have lived in Bosnia and travel regularly to south central europe and it can be be a hassle - all depends on who is working that day and what kind of day they are having.

I haven't been to Canada since 2005, but it was pretty standard border-crossing stuff...occassionally irritating, but could be worse!!!

The terrorists really are winning. They are winning by affecting our life styles. We don't have the foresight or the guts to ignore what the terrorists do. Yes we should hunt them down and kill them. No we shouldn't change our lives because of them. It just puts us on the losing end of things. They can't possibly beat us by trying to murder us all. But they can ruin our lifestyle and that's a pretty big success for them.

I got my car trunk searched. I was asked what all the photography gear was for. I resisted the urge to say "for taking photos...".

Or worse, you could have let it slip that they were for shooting things ("Um, I brought those to get some shots of Seattle") :lmao:

I've never crossed a border. I've barely crossed state lines. My farthest north was Kentucky-ana and my farthest west was New Orleans.

The last couple of years I have lived in Bosnia and travel regularly to south central europe and it can be be a hassle - all depends on who is working that day and what kind of day they are having.

The South-East of Europe always has been a bit problematic in that respect... even before any war down there. It always was a pain ..

No we shouldn't change our lives because of them. It just puts us on the losing end of things. They can't possibly beat us by trying to murder us all. But they can ruin our lifestyle and that's a pretty big success for them.

I could not agree more here. And I try to let them not influence my lifestyle.

BTW, way more people are killed in accidents on the road each year than by terrorists, at least in western-ish countries. This was true even for Northern Ireland when the conflict was hot there.

WOW!!! That is just crazy! Is it still like that in Europe? Me and the wifey were actually looking at some places over in the UK.

Its a bit different in the UK to the rest of Europe. Countries in the UK have no real borders to speak of, and it litterally is a case of seeing a sign saying "you sre now entering england" or whatever.

But if you want to travel to any other country in the EU you have to cross the best border control method EVER.....the sea. :lmao:

If you have a common name from a country where there is terrorism, I wonder what your chances are of being on the no fly list.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back