getting into film

Oh and THANK YOU for all the help :hugs:
3 1/2 moths later.
I just wonder how Paigew succeeded with the own film development.

Yea Paige! How goes it?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest to start with a 400 speed film ie. Kodak Portra 400 or Fuji 400H. Those are good film speeds to start off!

I would suggest to start with a 400 speed film ie. Kodak Portra 400 or Fuji 400H. Those are good film speeds to start off!

If she is developing them at home, those are terrible films to start with haha, color processing (though easy when you know what you're doing) is not as easy as B&W by a long stretch, also it costs a lot more. Stick to B&W for now.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

(edit: okay fine zombie thread, still useful to others though so not deleting the following:)

If you just want to have fun doing family snapshots as stated, just buy some ISO 200 or 400 film or so (one that your drugstore says they can develop! Which does not often include many of the films mentioned in this thread! Just call and ask), look up how to load your camera on google, put it in, and shoot. Then send it to CVS, who cares?

if you start taking photos you think you can sell for hundreds of dollars to clients or gallery sales, then start worrying about high end scanners or pro labs, etc.

Oh also, Ilford XP2 is formulated to be black and white film but it uses C41 chemicals that most places like walgreens or CVS use so they can develop it anywhere (if they say "we only do color" then just say "throw it in anyway"). I think it only comes in ISO 400
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...PLK2YbmsL0CFclDMgodTVcA8g&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Sorry, I don't log in often... And for a while it "wasn't working" until I went to the site where I was forced to view a thread about something in 2013... So apparently that's why it wasn't working through the app I use... Lol

I got a minolta x-700 for christmas. along with a 35-200; 35; and 50 lens. (and a fully manual flash too). This stuff is was my dads in college and the lenses are all manual focus. Anyway I have NO idea where to start, what film to buy or even how to load the film :er:. (I am a product of the digital era :lol:) anyway I'm excited to get started, can someone point me in the right direction? I want a fast film with high iso.

Ilford HP5 is a nice fast film, i use it just bought 100 feet a nice slower film is Ilford FP4 also Ilford are still investing in film and have no intentions of giving up on film

When gary said 100 feet, I assume he rolls his own film canister. Paige will probably buy 24 or 36 exposure film. Gary can make his roll however short he wants.

Shamefully I haven't touched my film camera since this roll over a year ago :blushing:. It's one of those things I just never get around to doing. Especially since I am doing a 365 right now that takes up a ton of time. And it is a lot harder to do 365 with film due to processing time.

I do have dreams of someday buying a nice film camera my lenses will work on.

Last edited:
You shoot with a 5d3 righr? Yeah.. Just buy a more modern Canon film camera with eos mount.

Any EOS mount camera will be fine, you could shoot 1 photo along with each day of your 365 and compare them as you process 1 roll a month ;) see how your tones are different in the B&W film images or try out Portra etc...

Those rebel EOS bodies can be had for $25 or free on craigslist... You don't need anything fancy...

Any EOS mount camera will be fine, you could shoot 1 photo along with each day of your 365 and compare them as you process 1 roll a month ;) see how your tones are different in the B&W film images or try out Portra etc...
you know that is a great idea! I may do that. One shot a day, I think I can handle that :D

you know that is a great idea! I may do that. One shot a day, I think I can handle that :D

Hurray! Test 1 different film each month so you get a variety, I suggest HP5+, PanF+, Delta100, for B&W Portra400, Provia100 for color (people) Ektar100, Velvia50 (landscape) not sure which your project.

I suggest avoiding Lomo. Even at 100, it's horribly grainy. And not in a good way. I have a ton of this junk to burn off too (came with some other stuff). I second the test a new film each month idea. That's a great idea.

I suggest avoiding Lomo. Even at 100, it's horribly grainy. And not in a good way. I have a ton of this junk to burn off too (came with some other stuff). I second the test a new film each month idea. That's a great idea.

Some of their stuff is good, it's not all horrible as it's just repackaged from some other standard film maker, but it's DEFINITELY over priced compared to kodak/ilford/Fuji films. So that's why I wouldn't suggest buying it.

I've looked recently at the site and I think they are running out of old film and investing all their money in the purple film because they are out of stock of everything, even the stuff that's still in production and made fresh right now... It's all put of stock!

Their purple film is "ok" but what annoyed me is they called it "Chrome" a term for transparency film... This is NOT an E6 film... So it's not chrome... Way to confuse and already uneducated group of consumers...

Most reactions

Back