Getting Into Photography

SimplyRelentless

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I am buying a Canon Rebel XT for my first camera, I am buying it from keh.com don't know if anyone has used it but someone I know recommended it to me. Anyways I was wondering what lense I should get for my first one? I want to shoot old buildings inside and out, landscapes, nature ect. it's my first lense so I am hoping it's fairly cheap. So if anyone could recommended me a lense and a place to buy it from and any other tips i'd appreciate it!

Welcome aboard.

I've heard good things about KEH.com, it should be a good place to buy a used camera from.

As for a lens, what is your budget? The EF-S 18-55mm 'kit' lens that usually comes with those cameras is a fairly cheap lens. It's not great but it's decent and it's cheap. I'd also suggest an EF 50mm F1.8. If you can afford it, there are many better lenses but they cost a lot more. You might as well have a look at KEH.com to see what lenses they have, if you are going to buy used.

I like my XT's. I have two. You want to take shots of various things. I'm not sure one lens will fit all of your desires. For the buildings and landscapes you need something wide angle. Depending on what type of nature shots you want, you may need a telephoto and/or macro. It just depends on what you want first. I would recommend that you try to buy the best lens you can possibly afford. The better the glass, the better the quality of pictures. You still have to take the shot, but the overall quality of the shot will be better with better glass.

I suggest saving a little longer instead and buying a really good quality lens instead of multiple mediocre ones (Like I did....)

If you're going Canon, read up on their "L" series lenses. There are some that are more entry level even within the L series, such as the 70-200 f/4.0 (more entry than their 2.8 version at least) which runs around 650 Canadian. (Not sure where you're located, so quoting local prices) which is a fantastic lens for sports or close-up wildlife. When combined with a 1.4 times teleconverter it becomes a pretty decent general wildlife lens too.

I will just get the canon normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II autofocus lens along with my camera which brings it to like $490 then I will just save up to buy a new lense that will last me a long time a nice high end lense. the first one should do me well for a bit being that it will be my first time with a nicer camera just need to get used to everything.

Yeah, the 50 1.8 is a good initial investment :) Far better than the kit lens the XT comes with.

Looking at buying http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CNDRXTB someone said they bought it from that site and it looks like an very good deal. I suppose I am going to need a memory card to, does the camera itself have some memory capacity? And a rough estimate 4gig memory card how many pictures could that hold?

I personally think that's a bit over priced for a discontinued entry level SLR myself. As for how many pictures a 4 gig card would hold, roughly 1000 or slightly over. I use a 2 gig card and can fit about 600 shots on it. (In JPeg, not Raw. Raw is more around 230 or so)

Yes you will need cards; and no it doesn't have internal memory. Assuming about 8Mb for a hiqh-quality large .jpg, about 450 - 500 images per 4Gb card, and (guessing here) 14Mb for RAW, probably about 275 or so.

Yes you will need cards; and no it doesn't have internal memory. Assuming about 8Mb for a hiqh-quality large .jpg, about 450 - 500 images per 4Gb card, and (guessing here) 14Mb for RAW, probably about 275 or so.
The Rebel XT creates roughly 3 mb jpeg files :)

And yes Simply, that card will indeed work.

Sounds great September 1st is when I get my next paycheck and can buy all of it, so far away I want it now! ha

Also I have been trying to find pictures taken with a Rebel XT maybe even with the same lense I am getting so I can see the quality in it.

Sounds great September 1st is when I get my next paycheck and can buy all of it, so far away I want it now! ha

Also I have been trying to find pictures taken with a Rebel XT maybe even with the same lense I am getting so I can see the quality in it.
Well, I shoot with the XT.. it's the only digital camera I own right now. But my work that I've posted isn't the greatest quality yet.

It's a great little camera, but the true quality comes from the glass. Like I'd said, for the next lens, you should save up and invest in top grade glass. (or at least entry level top grade :p )

Alright, yeah I will save up after my first lense for a nicer one.

Most reactions

Back