Getting my Travel Bag Ready

DevC

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Next year, I plan on spending as much time away from work as possible and travelling the world. I already have a flight booked to Bali to see a friend. Part of the trip induces a few layovers, which i am considering turning into stop overs in tokyo and seoul to shoot photos and enjoy the life. Through this, I am planning on grabbing some newer gear/ a bag/ and a laptop. I already have booked my flights and stuff, but i'm not sure where to take some of my money for equipment. I am also going to try and travel once near the end of the year again, but to a different array of countries.

I realize a few things to consider when buying gear, cameras, big bodies, lenses etc is theft, durability and weight. The latter not being as important as the former. With that being said, i'm putting some priority into getting a good lens a good full frame camera and a good bag to carry my gear.
I was originally (2-3 months ago when first planning) was gonna go get a nikon d800 with a 24-70 2.8 nikkor lens, but with so much changes i'm not sure if this is worth it. Now that the d810 is out, the d750 aswell i'm on the fence between choosing both.
On the one con of the d810 is that it's bigger and more noticable. This isn't awfully bad and won't incur theft, but the extra price tag lost if my bag gets stolen is greater. The d750 is cheaper, but i have worries with the tilty screen breaking (on a serious note), i may drop a camera buy accident, or bags being checked/whatever...with travel i have a big worry with the durability of such a camera. The d810 is just built better.

Now, if the tilty screen wasn't an issue, i'd probably jump on this deal b&h has going on for there kit with the d750:
Nikon D750 DSLR Camera with 24-120mm Lens 1549 B&H Photo Video
Originally 3500, the kit of the d750 coming with the 24-120 f4 for 3k sounds like a steal.

Now lenswise, the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VR sounds friggin awesome for a general lens for travel! Now the key here...its huge. I guess this isn't too bad of an issue. I'm kind of sold on this lens atm. Unless i could find a better deal on some lenses.

Now the option comes to possibly buy a refurb d800e and that'll solve most of my problems (no tilt screen, no AA filter, 36mp will be nice). This may be a resolution i may come to.

Finally, i'm looking to get a nice bag, computer, and a few filters to set everything in. I'll probably look into getting a mac book air for a durable computer, doesn't seem like a bad computer at all and with black friday rolling around, these look to be on sale. So it definetly looks worth it. As for a bag, i'm just gonna have to test and see. I'm planning on buying a nice top hoya multi coated CPL and also a variable neutral density.

Does anyone here who travels alot have good recommendations?
Any thoughts on all of this? i'm sorry this is probably alot of text to take in at once.

Thanks guys.

If it were me I'd go with the d810 or 800 and a nice 50 and 35mm.

First thing is to get a roll of black gaffers tape.

Then a D8x0, whichever you prefer. And get a couple of extra batteries and a nice bag. National Geographic camera bags look to be handy. National Geographic Camera Bags - Earth Explorer Collection

Then pick up a 24mm f2.8, a 35 or 50mm (when away from home it seems that the wides get used more) and an 85mm f1.8g. And a good cir-pol and adaptors to have each lens covered.

Then take the gaffers tape and cover up where ever it says Nikon and the red stripe on the front. If it looks like the camera and lenses are being held together with the tape then all the better.

Have fun

Maybe the D810 with a 20 1.8, 35 1.4 Art, 50 1.4 Art, and a 70-200 2.8--seems like good easy coverage to me. And maybe an SB910.

Maybe the D810 with a 20 1.8, 35 1.4 Art, 50 1.4 Art, and a 70-200 2.8--seems like good easy coverage to me. And maybe an SB910.

I think you missed the traveling light part!.

If it were me I'd take my 17-40 for landscapes/buildings. 50 for day to day and 85 for people.

THanks for the great tips guys on cameras. I really like the idea of the gaff tape! I didn't think of that. That may fully get rid of any issues with carrying a d8x0 series around. I could probably carry gaff tape up the mac book pro aswell. Or just case it to cover the apple logo.
Considering this, i may just grab a refurbished d800E from cameta camera:Nikon D800 Digital SLR Camera Body - Factory Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty
and go from there.
I have a 50mm 1.8 already, but why go for so many primes? I guess they are smaller and look cheaper (plus they are sharper)...but i'm also guessing they also could be a bit more suspect to theft. just due to carrying such amounts in quantity...or just extra drops.

I'm definetly buying a good CPOL. Thats on the top of the list.

There's another thread on this in the Nikon section.

The primes because they are light. Fast zooms are Heavy! One of the beauties of the D8x0s is that you can crop a good deal and still have plenty of information for a large print. Carrying around a D8x0 plus a fast zoom for any length of time will make you reconsider owning one. Not to mention that they attract a lot of attention.

I haven't shot the 20mm but if you like wide angle it's a good thought. For most street scenes a 50mm on a full frame is a good compromise. Personally I like the 35mm range but there is a lot to be said for being able to carry a 50mm in your pocket or belt pouch.

I didn't list a lens longer than 85mm because of the ability to crop and it's a great lens for people. I might consider a 105 VR micro though were it me.

Anyway the point is that you don't want to load yourself down so much that you don't enjoy the experience. Hey, if you're working then knock yourself out but then you already knew that.

I just recently got the Think Tank Street Walker Hard Drive. Great camera bag in general but travels well. Has slot for a laptop. I was able to pack...

D600
Tamron 24-70 (it is a large lens! But oh so worth it!)
Tamron 70-200
Tokina 12-24 UWA (works 18-24 FX)
Speedlight
Giottos Tripod (yes tripod inside the bag)
Yongnuo Triggers
Chargers
Batteries
Straps and all the misc stuff!

Although this is certainly a minority opinion, there is no way in the world that I would travel with one body only or with a large dslr and lenses again.

After years of traveling with FF Nikons and lenses, I have changed totally to M4/3. The only way I would go back to FF would be with a lighter mirrorless FF like the Sony A7 system.If you are going on a safari where long lenses are a must and you're in a truck all day, then standard size FF is fine but walking around hot climates, not for me.
You have no idea how heavy a bag can be after touristing around for a day.
My good friend just came back from Iceland (not hot, I know) and shot his Sony A7r exclusively and his nikons never got out of the bag.

That being said, bring two battery chargers, they weigh nothing and having one quit during a trip is clearly a pain.
I also bring sensor cleaner and swabs and plenty of memory cards - even though I back up to a portable hard drive.

Although this is certainly a minority opinion, there is no way in the world that I would travel with one body only or with a large dslr and lenses again.

After years of traveling with FF Nikons and lenses, I have changed totally to M4/3. The only way I would go back to FF would be with a lighter mirrorless FF like the Sony A7 system.If you are going on a safari where long lenses are a must and you're in a truck all day, then standard size FF is fine but walking around hot climates, not for me.
My good friend just came back from Iceland (not hot, I know) and shot his Sony A7r exclusively and his nikons never got out of the bag.

That being said, bring two battery chargers, they weigh nothing and having one quit during a trip is clearly a pain.
I also bring sensor cleaner and swabs and plenty of memory cards - even though I back up to a portable hard drive.

Judging by your username and post, i'm gonna assume you know what you are talking about I will take your advice. I may look into mirrorless aswell. Thankfully i still got time to think here.

There's another thread on this in the Nikon section.

The primes because they are light. Fast zooms are Heavy! One of the beauties of the D8x0s is that you can crop a good deal and still have plenty of information for a large print. Carrying around a D8x0 plus a fast zoom for any length of time will make you reconsider owning one. Not to mention that they attract a lot of attention.

I haven't shot the 20mm but if you like wide angle it's a good thought. For most street scenes a 50mm on a full frame is a good compromise. Personally I like the 35mm range but there is a lot to be said for being able to carry a 50mm in your pocket or belt pouch.

I didn't list a lens longer than 85mm because of the ability to crop and it's a great lens for people. I might consider a 105 VR micro though were it me.

Anyway the point is that you don't want to load yourself down so much that you don't enjoy the experience. Hey, if you're working then knock yourself out but then you already knew that.
Thank you for the clarification. That makes more sense. I always get worried about carrying too much quantity if something gets lost in the mess of other things, but yeah, i'm gonna guess the bigger risk is carrying a bigger heavier item. I'd rather enjoy the locations i go to aswell as take photos. Not be cumbered down.

I just recently got the Think Tank Street Walker Hard Drive. Great camera bag in general but travels well. Has slot for a laptop. I was able to pack...

D600
Tamron 24-70 (it is a large lens! But oh so worth it!)
Tamron 70-200
Tokina 12-24 UWA (works 18-24 FX)
Speedlight
Giottos Tripod (yes tripod inside the bag)
Yongnuo Triggers
Chargers
Batteries
Straps and all the misc stuff!
Will have to look into this bag!

I traveled California with a D600, Tamron 24-70, and Tamron 70-200 in a small sling type bag that could fit in my backpack.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back