Getting Photo Passes to Concerts.

Stephen.C

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, I'm looking into getting a more commercial portfolio together, and I plan to shoot some concerts with media passes.
I called a general venue producer ( live nation ) and he said that for that particular company they do not do passes, the band's press do the photo passes.
So, I emailed a few band's press people..Heres what I wrote.

"Hello,
My names Stephen Cameron.
I'm emailing about acquiring a Photographer's Pass to your show at the House Of Blues in Boston Feb 19th.
I'm a Junior in Highschool, but very avid on photography and plan on going to a photography college. I am trying to build a more commercial portfolio.
I am not affiliated with any company, but I am thinking about selling to stock photograph sites.
I am willing to give Matador Records a percentage of the profit, If I do sell any.
I'd greatly appreciate it if you could email me back, or call me at ###-###-####.
Thank you for your time.
Stephen Cameron"

What do you think? Any tips, advice, critique are extremely welcome.
Anything to get my foot in the door.
Thanks!

It never hurts to ask. I wouldn't expect too much though. You'd be better off talking to some buddies at school that are in a band and tag along with them at practice. It won't be anything like a club, especially lighting, but you may be able to put a small portfolio together and work with that.

Not having a portfolio is a killer. Not being able to get any gigs without a portfolio is a killer. It's a vicious circle but you can't really get anything unless you have something, if you know what I mean. Unless you can find another angle.

And I'm not sure I'd send that letter. Tone it down on the charity a bit and find something to offer them instead of a measly pittance from a stock site. (Think poster sized print of each member or...)

One more thing: Are there age limits at this venue you're trying to get into?

Let them know that your covering different events in the Boston area and you would like the opportunity to get some pictures at their up coming show. You could also let them know that you will be using photos from these shoots to build a porfolio to get into photography school. I'd leave out the selling part completely.

Thank you both very much.

Redk, I like your idea about the prints, but I feel like it would be a huge hassle to ship, and also price wise, it would cost more to do that than to buy tickets in the first place.
Also, I checked, and there isn't an age requirement for the shows I asked about.

Also a good idea MSnowy. The selling part was a decision for me, I dont feel like they'll get excited / offended by it, but I feel the need to offer them something because they probably won't get any publicity from my shots.
I'll def tweak it some more, I'm not really in a major hurry, so Trial and Error will be good. A friend told me that alot of kids shoot at this one venue in Boston, bummer is that its outdoors, so they wont be open until May.

Thanks Again!

Unfortunately if they do let you shoot you will not be able to sell any of the pictures. The record company holds all the likeness rights to their artists and will prosecute you.

Dude, don't bother selling the photos. Just use them for your port and let it be. They are much more willing to let you shoot if, like stated above, you leave that part out.

Tell them you need to build a portfolio to get into school (already stated).

Instead of poster sized prints, how bout you just offer to email them high res copies of some of the better shots. Yeah, I know giving away image files is taboo around here, but when you can't sell them anyway it doesn't really matter. This way it doesn't cost you anything out of pocket, and they still get photos.

Can't sell them? Oh well, didn't plan on it anyways...
I like your Idea Destin. I'd probably do that.

I was told to contact some no name bands, and just get some shots of people no one has heard of to start.
Not a bad idea, Ill still try to get the big names too though.

Thanks guys.

Can't sell them? Oh well, didn't plan on it anyways...
I like your Idea Destin. I'd probably do that.

I was told to contact some no name bands, and just get some shots of people no one has heard of to start.
Not a bad idea, Ill still try to get the big names too though.

Thanks guys.

One other thing that you might wanna try is looking into Big name Christian bands coming to your area.

I have gotten access to shoot two of the biggest Christian artists in the world (toby mac, and skillet). Photos are on my site here The security at Christian concerts isn't generally as tight, and they are more willing to give young photogs like us a shot.

Dude, don't bother selling the photos

Ye don't sell them, give them free to newspapers and magazines and get your name out.

"Hello,
My names Stephen Cameron.
I'm emailing about acquiring a Photographer's Pass to your show at the House Of Blues in Boston Feb 19th.
I'm a Junior in Highschool, but very avid on photography and plan on going to a photography college. I am trying to build a more commercial portfolio.
I am not affiliated with any company, but I am thinking about selling to stock photograph sites.
I am willing to give Matador Records a percentage of the profit, If I do sell any.
I'd greatly appreciate it if you could email me back, or call me at ###-###-####.
Thank you for your time.
Stephen Cameron"

What do you think?

I'd suggest writing like a grown up.

"Greetings,

My name is Stephen Cameron, and I am writing to inquire about the possibility of acquiring a Photographer's Pass for the upcoming show by _____ at House of Blues/Boston on February 19th.

Currently, I am a junior in high school, but I have great plans for my photography career. I have experience photographing high school events such as Band Nite 2010 and Junior Prom 2010. Shooting your act's show would allow me to gain some experience in concert photography that would likely prove invaluable.

I do not plan on licensing the resulting images, but do plan on including them in my portfolio. As I would hold copyright as the photographer, I would certainly be interested in discussing licensing the images to you, if you find them usable.

Thank you for your consideration.

Stephen Whatever"

Tell them one of your assignments at college is live performance, works most times

I thought you would be anti-this, I'm disappointed!

Haha, I dont want to lie too much, because what if I have to fill out forms?
Don't want to get into trouble for something dumb like that.

Most reactions

Back