Getting pictures out of a laptop

nolegs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My friend recently bought a new desktop PC and he wants to get 180 pictures out of his laptop (32 ram) and transfer them to his new desktop computer. His laptop is a Compaq Presario 1246 and the camera is a nikon Coolpix 3100. I asked him if he could do a reverse, download from his laptop to the camera and he says that there is no way to do that. Is there a way that he can connect his laptop to his new PC and download them into his desktop? The USB cable will connect to the computer at one end but the other end is for connecting to a printer or scanner or other hardware. He has a CD drive on the laptop but no burner, and it would take forever to download them onto a floppy. Even sending one photo out by email on his laptop makes it crash. Any suggestions?

Get a usb card reader and use it as a removeable drive. Which is how your computer will see it. :)

do it all the time.

If your camera can plug into the computer you can use that as a storage device. Same with an mp3 player. A usb flash drive. And if it had been two computers (not a laptop) my personal favorite (read as : not recommended) pull the one hard drive out and put it in the other machine.

If you have Ethernet on the two computers you can connect them together directly with a cross-over ethernet lead.
Or you could invest in an external USB CD burner, or an external USB hard drive.

I bought an ethernet cord many years ago to connect my notebook to my desktop, but I never got around to it because I need a network card for the desktop, I think I even bought one and never installed it. At the time it was my understanding that the windows 95 of the desktop and the windows me of the notebook wouldnt let me network them, but I could be wrong.

Now I have a newer desktop *plus it actually works* and it has a network card installed. Its windows xp. So if I was to plug in the ethernet cord in my win me notebook to my win xp desktop, would the software of both machines automatically see each other and let me access the other via "my network places" or do I have to do some configurations? All the network stuff at my old job really confused me.

You might have to do some configs. If you have the windows xp cd it's really really easy. just put the cd into the me computer and it will bring up a menu. one of the options is 'set this computer up for windows xp networking' or something like that.

Nope, no xp cd, I guess Future shop doesnt like giving them out. :0) Hmm, nor staples since my notebook didnt come with one either, just a restore cd.

Thank you for all your help. My friend decided to take it over to the computer shop and he got the pictures out of his laptop also he found that one of the ram chips was burnt out.
I have now learned a lot about routers, firewires, flash cards, crossover cables, USB cables and other stuff from your help here. Thanks again.

Most reactions

Back