Getting prints made from slides?

skatephoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
For those who shoot mostly slides, do u prefer to get the prints made at a lab or do u guys use slide scanners at home. And if you were to get a print made at the lab and scan the print would the quality be better than if u just used a slide scanner and scanned the slide. thanks :D

Sorry to be piping up here, since actually I'm the wrong one to answer here, for I no longer take slides these days. But my experience from years ago when I was still heavily into slides is that prints made from slides tend to lose some of what the original had. I've so far ALWAYS been disappointed with the outcome, even though I sure had the odd slide put onto paper just so I could put it in an album or send it away in a letter or so.

By now, lab methods may have changed to the better.
And by now something's out that you're mentioning here: scanners that scan the negatives (or slides, for that matter, if I understand things right). Not that I would have any such nice thing at home... I only can scan prints.

And with what my prints from from slides from about 10 years ago used to look like, and with what my scans look like today with the equipment I'm having, I'd fear the outcome would be more than disappointing.

But then I no longer take slides and haven't got a negative scanner...

LaFoto said:
my experience from years ago when I was still heavily into slides is that prints made from slides tend to lose some of what the original had. I've so far ALWAYS been disappointed with the outcome, even though I sure had the odd slide put onto paper just so I could put in in an album or send it away in a letter or so.

Absolutely, a print is a second generation copy. People say that E6 is sharper than C41. No. Film is sharper than prints.

Most reactions

Back