Getting Published Etc.

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by onedayillknowbetter, Mar 23, 2008.

1. onedayillknowbetter

onedayillknowbetter TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So I would say that I am now a professional photographer. I have a website, www.carolinedixey.com (I'm still working on my bio and constantly adding old galleries) and I have business cards that match my website, and they look quite nice if I may say so. Now the only issue I am having is clients. I want to get into nightlife/party photography because I see that as an excellent way to get my name out there. Getting hired to take these images would be even better.
    I stopped going to school for photography for many reasons...but left in pursuit of self-education. I've learned a lot since then, but sometimes people just want to know that someone else has told me "good job!" before they do. I am interested in getting some of my images published because I think that this will add some credibility and maybe some jobs to my resume, but I'm not sure how to do this.

Any and all responses are appreciated!

2. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    First I want to say that I like the design of you website, it is clean and nice to look at.
    But having said that I think you need to do some serious work on your Portfolio. I do not want to sound like a jerk by saying this, but you picture come off as snapshots for the most part, there are several in your port that are out of focus and have blown out highlights and are not up to the standards that that would attract the kind of work you are looking for.
    If you want to shoot nightlife, you are going to have to show in your portfolio that you can shoot in that environment. I can see that you are a very creative person and with some work I think that you can do it. But I am not quite sure if you are ready yet.

3. onedayillknowbetter

Photos NOT OK to edit

Thank you for the compliments on my website.

I am aware that my portfolio needs some work right now. When I originally launched it, I was more trying to show EVERYTHING that I am capable of, not just nightlife, etc. I shot for a company in clubs before, but as a stipulation of my contract with them (should have payed closer attention to that before I signed) I did not retain any of the images. So all those thousands(?) of images I took, I lost before I never had. I've been working on getting more nightlife images, but I still don't have enough, I agree. I feel that nightlife photography is a good way for me to get my name out there, and could potentially lead to people coming to my website not looking to purchase my nightlife services, but one of my others.

Should I have a separate page for nightlife/party images? Should I just put a couple of those in my portfolio?

I stopped going to school before I had a portfolio class; any good recommendations on books/websites/any random knowledge is much appreciated.

4. Renair

Renair TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Caroline, I knew a guy in New York, what he did was go around shooting people in Night Clubs and Various bars, got them to sign a release and then sent copies to the clubs for their own websites showing people having a good time. They all had sample on them and then some of the clubs hired him to come shoot various theme nights. Another thing you could possibly do is set up a 'Lifestyle' portfolio on your site and post the images of people you took, make sure you give them a card with the addy on it, then they come along, they might like the shot and buy a copy from you. People are usually more then happy to pose for you in nightclubs and bars as they had drinks and are at ease a lot more. Best of luck.

5. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    total agreement.
    take out everything that would cause customers to think "I could do that"
    take out everything that isn't a potential sale to someone.
    be pro

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As far as a portfolio is concerned...less can be more. You may be judged on your worst images, while you (of course) are hoping to be judged by your best images. So I agree with the others, clean up your portfolio and only show the best of the best. Maybe you'll have to go out and create some shots to fill out your portfolio...but sometimes that's what it takes.

After that, it's a matter of selling yourself. Just like any other type of service or product...you have to get out there and sell. Your personality and enthusiasm will go a long way, so find a way to talk to the people who can hire you and make them like you.

7. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

Well I think generally before people aer able to get jobs they can put one positive thing on their resume and that is school and I guess you took care of that. I think you will seriously regret that decision for the rest of your life. You are only young once and now is the time to take advantage of the freedom you have to go to school full time get as much as you can out of it.

8. onedayillknowbetter

Photos NOT OK to edit
    "Freedom to go to school"?? That word "freedom" is misused far too much in this society. I stopped going to school not because of laziness or lack of drive, but because I did not (and do not) agree with the education system of this country. Even in art school, I was surrounded by people going to school to appease their parents, and cheating their way through college. To me, it's much more important to show what you are able to do, than to pay for a medium to tell you what you have already purchased. All the classes at colleges are accompanied by what? A BOOK.

A book= 1/100 of the price of a semester of college, and I'm no longer surrounded by idiots who are just spending their parents money because they can.

I'm not going to get deep into this because it isn't really related to the thread, but I wasn't asking for your opinion on what I have already decided for myself; I was asking for a general opinion on how I should move forward now.

I will just say that not everyone has the same goals as you, so for you to assume or judge what is good or right for another is impossible.

By the way, my goal for exposure is basically that. Paying jobs would be nice, but they don't really matter for me. My goal is to have as many different people view my website as possible, so that they become interested in what I do and come back to my site. In November, I'll be living in Belize adventuring and exploring undiscovered Mayan Ruins. Who knows what will be found, what I will be able to photograph and how that will effect people's consciousness. I'm a humanitarian first and foremost, and photography just happens along the way for me.:mrgreen:

9. sgbphotography

sgbphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey Caroline--
    If your immediate goal it to have as many different people view your website as possible, you need to do something about search engine optimization. Your site looks nice, but Google is going to totally ignore it. You need some text and lots of it--geared to a specific set of keywords.

10. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

Spoken like a true young person with nothing but time!!!!

11. onedayillknowbetter

Photos NOT OK to edit

Time I wouldn't have had if I would have kept going to school...

12. PastorDave

PastorDave TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good for you oneday... I don't think college is for everyone either. Sometimes I wish I had considered another direction.

Dave

PS - I am 52 and have a PhD