Getting serious about a macro lens... some questions

I agree with the positive comments about the canon 100mm f2.8 (I own one and love it), but don't forget there are other ways of getting macro for the occasional user. Close-up lenses and extension tubes work very well and they are far less costly. One disadvantage with this option is that they are not as convenient to use as a dedicated macro lens, but that doesn't mean they should drop off the radar.

Here's a useful link: http://workbench.cjmovie.net/phproxy/index.php?q=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5waG90by5uZXQvbGVhcm4vbWFjcm8=

Thanks for the guidance guys but I am using a nikon, not canon.

Thanks for the guidance guys but I am using a nikon, not canon.

They make close-up lenses and extension tubes that work on Nikons too ...

Well the sigma line is made for both canon and nikon fit -- as for nikon, I would go for the Nikkor 105mm mirco (looking at their range) unless you have a lot to spend and then the 200mm micro (which is up in the £1000area)

Well the sigma line is made for both canon and nikon fit -- as for nikon, I would go for the Nikkor 105mm mirco (looking at their range) unless you have a lot to spend and then the 200mm micro (which is up in the £1000area)

The Nikkor 105mm is a good lens... but it's pricey.... even used... the op doesn't even want to spend $500 on macro... most of the off brand 1:1 primes are about $300 used...

To the op - keep in mind if you end up getting a 100macro it's not just a one trick pony.... it's a great portraiture and general purpose lens.... you don't have to walk around with it at 1:1 all the time...

I found a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 on craigslist for $200. Good deal or not? I may go look at it on wednesday:thumbup:/:thumbdown:?

I found a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 on craigslist for $200. Good deal or not? I may go look at it on wednesday:thumbup:/:thumbdown:?

I've seen it cheaper on ebay, but I still think it's a good price. It's supposed to be a superb lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back