Getting sharper focus on the face?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by SquarePeg, Oct 29, 2017.

1. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Yeah I'm not that crazy about the wider focal lengths and really only use the 18-55 for landscape stuff. I'm trying to use the 18-55 more often, I just don't find it all that exciting... The XT2 handles high ISO remarkably well, IMO. For either of these photos I would have switched over to the 60 but it hunts in low light - it's super sharp but not super fast. Still, I think the results would have been better than with the 18-55.

I don't take a ton of people photos except for family events. I need to start practicing though. While I have no interest in doing this for money, I think portraiture as art is a very interesting area and it would be nice to be able to take senior portraits for my daughter and her friends in 3 years.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I use the 60 in manual focus with peaking highlights about 99.9% of the time to overcome the low light slow focus issue. Works incredibly well. I do turn off the focus preview though, don't care for it. The 18-55 is a very nice lens but your right, it is kind of boring for some reason. It always impresses me though. I use it in low light a lot because the OIS enables me to shoot at really slow shutter speeds. You still have to pay attention to your stability stance though. I think the micro contrast on the 60 is better, that may be what your seeing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    @jcdeboever

Is there a way to quickly toggle from zoomed in to standard view when using focus peaking?

4. jcdeboever

Photos OK to edit
    I don't think so. I seem to recall it just pops up, hence why I don't care for it. It messes with my composition mojo.

5. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, exactly, especially when in close. I’ll just turn it off then and leave peaking on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jcdeboever

Photos OK to edit
    It's a little more useful on the xpro2, it ahas a toggle switch on the front to put the view finder in hybrid mode which actually is ok when doing portraits. The only thing with the xp2 is I am left eye dominant and the vf is on the left. If the XT2 acted like that, I may use it more. I guess ... If I was right eye dominant, I'd probably use the xp2 more than the XT2. The xp2 is so stunning looking.

7. photoflyer

photoflyer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Does this camera have the ability to do autofocus microfocus adjustment. I have an 85mm f 1.8 that was doing what you show above... it was focusing short. I described this on the forum and someone explained AF microfucus adjustment. What a difference that makes, especially with a fast lens.