Getting some new equipment

Bryant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently purchased my Canon 40D, but the other day, I was given a $100 gift card to Adorama. I'm not sure as to what is the most important thing to buy, as I am not able to spend more than that. I only have a 2GB CF card so I was thinking about just buying $100 in CF cards along with a CF firewire or usb. I have no need for a tripod, i have one and a monopod. I don't have a flash, but that's not really on the top of my list. I've heard about the nifty fifty, the 50mm f/ 1.8. I am unsure as to why I would want this, my 28-135mm has the ability to go 50mm, so what would be the advantage.
thanks for your input

well id go for the 50mm F1.8 if you plan on doing any macro or low light shots as it has a massive aperture for low light and for depth of field

else a few more CF cards and a filter or 2 cudnt hurt

Spare CF cards, spare battery, lens hood, cable release? Things that should be in every photog's bag. You have a bag, right?

Spare CF cards, spare battery, lens hood, cable release? Things that should be in every photog's bag. You have a bag, right?

Yeah, cf cards are my best idea. Spare batteries would be better to be bought on ebay, it's much cheaper. Whats the benefit of a hood, blocks sun and rain/weather, is it really noticeable? Cable release would be nice, but I think it'd be better to have about 4,000 raw images in my bag, rather than the ability to have a no touch shutter. I do have a bag:D

Sandisk is running a rebate with memory cards and Andorama is kicking in with an additional 10% store credit. I think last day of scheme is today. I'll receive $165 in rebates.

**note to self - post office run tomorrow**

I'd go for the "Nifty Fifty". To answer your question, its advantage over your 28-135 is that at 50mm, I would guess that your camera has an aperture of about f/4.5. The 50mm has an aperture of f/1.8. This has two advantages: you'll be able to get a MUCH faster shutter speed (start thinking 1/4000 in daylight), and you'll be able to get a really thin Depth of Field (DOF).

The fifty, in my opinion, really is a must-have if you've got the cash.

are you kidding me? the best deal for good cheap cards is definitley batterygeinie.com
customer service is on point too

I would get a Vivitar 285hv or a nifty fifty

I would get a Vivitar 285hv or a nifty fifty

+1

You will see the different once you use the 50mm F/1.8 in low light situation or after you take a photo with bokeh.

As for the flash. Vivitar 286hv is also one of the flash I would like to buy as well. :)

Most reactions

Back