Getting started in IR

AdamZx3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have an older Mamiya MSX 1000 SLR, I used to use it back in highschool in my B+W photography class. While I did cut my teeth in with that, I use a nikon d80 now, anyway I wanted to know if there's any problems using it for infrared photography, here was my plan:

Buy a screw mount to nikon lens adapter and use my 50mm 1.8 prime
Buy some IR film (any suggestions? after searching Kodak HIE seems good?)
Develop the film at home in the canister type developer
Scan with my microtek i800
Process in photoshop.

Or would it be much easier and more worthwhile to buy a Hoya filter and use a tripod for infrared shots with my d80? (only $60 bucks)

I still might do this later on and process B+W film just for fun :)

you are going to need an IR filter for the mamiya.

both methods work, it boils down to which process makes you happy.

Ann is right, you will need a red filter for IR film. I would suggest starting with a #25 red filter if you go with HIE; this filter is opaque enough to block blue wavelengths but can still be metered through, making HIE very easy to shoot. Try setting the ISO between 350 and 400; meter TTL, bracket up and down a stop, and keep an exposure log of your first roll or two. You'll learn a ton.

I like TMax developer for HIE. In a small tank with one reel you'll only need 500 ml of developer, and with a 1:4 ratio that's only 100 ml of developer, so the small bottle of TMax lasts awhile. You can use the developer at room temperature, mix with distilled water and do NOT overagitate. Take Kodak's suggestion of complete darkness quite seriously when loading/unloading the film, and you'll have little problems getting several workable negatives with the stuff.

Cool, thanks guys :)

I think i'm going 2 wait on the IR for the Mamiya until I get setup with my b+w developing supplies, it would be cheaper in the long run to just use a IR filter on the D80, after 3 rolls of HIE it would pay for itself:) I will defiantly still do the t-max b+w though, there's something about working with film thats a lot more fun (well for a hobby at least :) )

Most reactions

Back