Getting started what do i need to know for Wall Shots?

Sadok in Oz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey all I'm a big newbie to this site and for that matter photography as well, but was interested in taking some photos of walls for some semi-professional work (hopefully).

I am wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the best type of camera, lens, time of day, approx distance, weather, lighting and basically any other info that will get me the best possible shots, keep in mind a tightish budget.

The walls that i am shooting are in various places and may/may not be in shadow?

At present the only camera I have is a Kodak DX3600 digi which is a few years old now, it will definatly not be suitable ay?

Any advice is appreciated and look forward to hearing your suggestions

Walls? Like just walls or walls with stuff in front of them? What are they to be used for? Stock or something else?

Lighting and all varies depending on whether you are using B&W, Color, or filters. Distance depends on purpose of the shots and your lens.

Your 2.2 meg/pixel camera will barely work if you're thinking about getting paid.

As far as wall shots, they're pretty easy- it's a just a wall. Shoot it head on and be sure the lighting is even over the whole thing.

You're biggest problem might be getting the colors accurate.

Just walls themselves with nothing in front of them. Just as they are no additions in photoshop or anything.

Thanks for the advice, what amount of mega pixal camera would i be after?

depends how big you want the final pictures to be. i shoot with 6.3MP and can comfortably enlarge to 16x20. (bigger depending on the picture) a 2.2MP will barely get you to 8x10... and i don't think i would even go that high.

Most reactions

Back