Getting stressed here and almost giving up!!!

Axel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I want to take some pictures of all the lights arolund in the city at night (or when it's dark) now by Christmas. Is there any way of doing so without a tripod? I only have a SIGMS 35-70 lens and a simple N50 camera. I would love to get a tripod, but since I am of the opinion that I prefer to get great stuff and not just a "tripod" because it is called a "tripod" I also realize that it's going to be rather expensive. I also realize that things are getting cheaper after Christmas... Is there any "emergency tripod" that I could buy and that would do it for now?

Thanks

You can get a bogen table top tripod. It's like $40 and has a ball head. Very sturdy but you'll be limited to shots from angles that have a surface you can place the tripod on.

I'll probably get shot for saying this, but give it a shot without the tripod. I had to do some night shots for a class, shot some on tripod, and some without...turned in the one that I did without. Just have to be extra steady :D

i have had some very nice 20 and 30 second exposures of the aurora with camera braced on roof of a car. its not perfect, but anything you lean against can help a lot for long exposures. good luck,dean

You are so right on "get the good stuff from the start" philosophy.

You came with it by yourself?

I've used a $5 table top tripod and bean bags to get long shots. You are limited to where you can find a place to set the camera but I've taken some pretty good, clear shots this way. Trash cans, the car roof or even poles with flat tops work like a charm. ;)

you could buy a photo/video 55" tripod from like kmart or walmart or whatever for like 40 bux.. thats good for stuff like this specially in emergencies

While I am also of the opinion that you might as well buy the good quality equipment in the first place, rather than going through several cheaper models that end up costing just as much in the long run, with tripods I think there is an exception.

High quality tripods are heavy, even the space age carbon fiber models. I have a nice Bogen that I use most of the time, because most of the cameras I use on a tripod are large and heavy, and need an extra sturdy model. But I like the cheapo tripods too, for lighter cameras. They may only last a year before starting to wear out and get wiggly, but if it only cost $30 then so what? I think of the cheapo tripods as super light, and disposable. Actually when they are too wiggly for my cameras I use them for reflector stands, etc...

I kinda agree with ksmattfish here...

But then I got a 40 bucks tripod and it's been kinda wiggly from the beginning.

I think you could:
Get a faster lens
Get a quality monopod. They're not that expensive, so you should be ok in terms of $$$

photogoddess said:
I've used a $5 table top tripod and bean bags to get long shots. You are limited to where you can find a place to set the camera but I've taken some pretty good, clear shots this way. Trash cans, the car roof or even poles with flat tops work like a charm. ;)

Yep. Use what's available. The best you can do hand-held is 1/15 - and that that has to be on a good day. You could always make your own. But personally I think a tripod is an essential piece of kit - more useful than another lens.

Thank you all,

Can anyone suggest me a model that I could go with that isn't too expensive? (That is <$75.)

Thanks...

ksmattfish said:
While I am also of the opinion that you might as well buy the good quality equipment in the first place, rather than going through several cheaper models that end up costing just as much in the long run, with tripods I think there is an exception.

High quality tripods are heavy, even the space age carbon fiber models. I have a nice Bogen that I use most of the time, because most of the cameras I use on a tripod are large and heavy, and need an extra sturdy model. But I like the cheapo tripods too, for lighter cameras. They may only last a year before starting to wear out and get wiggly, but if it only cost $30 then so what? I think of the cheapo tripods as super light, and disposable. Actually when they are too wiggly for my cameras I use them for reflector stands, etc...

What would be a good tripod around $30? (give or take $10).

The cheap tripods are stocked everywhere: camera stores, dept. stores, discount stores, electronics stores, etc...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back