Getting the flash off camera

rmh159

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking for options to get my SB-800 off of the camera. I noticed Nikon sells a cable (SC-27 I want to say) that has an AF assist light and is about 3 - 5 feet for about $70 but I'm thinking I should have a longer cable and I don't know that I'd need the AF assist light.

Any recommendations as far as equipment or technique? I'd LOVE to get a wireless set up but I'd like to keep the price under $100 until I know a bit more what I'm doing (still a flash newb).

Doesn't Nikon have something called 'Commander Mode'...a built-in wireless flash trigger system?

Yeah but I don't think the D50 has it (unless someone can tell me otherwise). I know the D70 had it and I'm assuming the D80 inherited it but not the D50. :-/

I wish I knew that when I was buying the cam... it might've been worth the extra $$$.

HERE is a great site about off-camera flash...although he does recommend using Pocket Wizards, which are expensive.

Yeah those things look awesome... I just don't know that I'd use them enough to justify the cost. For my use I'd prefer to stick with some type of cable or even rent another SB-800 to use as a master / slave.

Thanks for the link.

Does that flash have a PC port? does the camera?

Even if they don't, you could use hot-shoe adaptors and a PC cable.

There is also the 'ebay' radio triggers. You can get something that is like the Pocket Wizards, but a lot cheaper (and less reliable). I think they go for as little as $20-$40.

Cool... yeah I'll check out Ebay and see what's being sold.

The flash has a PC port but the camera would need an adapter on the hot shoe, which is kind of why I'm confused as to the most efficient set up for my limited needs (at this point).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back