Getting the "magazine look"

yardley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm going to be shooting some cars and I'm trying to get the look in the following pics, which I call the "magazine look". Can anyone give me some pointers on how to achieve this look? It's almost like this un-natural exaggerated look that works really well with cars. The following is a link to a raw file of a picture I took. If someone could color correct it to have a simliar look as the examples I've shown and post an explanation that would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

LINK: http://rapidshare.com/files/365248521/IMG_2080_copy.CR2

EXAMPLES:
richard_gtr_2.jpg

vmr_3_1.jpg

barry_ferrari_1.jpg

If these aren't your images, you really shouldn't be posting them on here...

That being said, it's entirely possible it is some sort of tone mapping/hdr work.

I tried doing HDR with Photomatrix Pro but I wasn't getting results anywhere near these pictures. These are not my images but I got them online and figured I'm not hurting anyone by posting them as examples of some great work on here.

Large DOF, tons of light, and look into post plugins like LucisArts or Topaz Adjust -- those tools will get you about 80-90% of the way there. The source material has to be spot-on though.

I did the following (granted, the truck is NOT clean, and also I should have cloned out the light post coming from the exhaust) by exposing in broad daylight, large DOF, wide angle, and used the 'portrait drama' preset in topaz adjust 4 while pushing the 'detail' slider up to around 2. It's not perfect, but this was literally a quick shot of a friend's truck I took while we were visiting:

2010_03_06_chris_truck_4x5.jpg

Large DOF, tons of light, and look into post plugins like LucisArts or Topaz Adjust -- those tools will get you about 80-90% of the way there. The source material has to be spot-on though.

I did the following (granted, the truck is NOT clean, and also I should have cloned out the light post coming from the exhaust) by exposing in broad daylight, large DOF, wide angle, and used the 'portrait drama' preset in topaz adjust 4 while pushing the 'detail' slider up to around 2. It's not perfect, but this was literally a quick shot of a friend's truck I took while we were visiting:

2010_03_06_chris_truck_4x5.jpg

That looks badass and is definitely the kind of look I'm going for. Would you recommend something like F11 or higher? Also could you post the original picture? Thanks for all the info I really appreciate it!

Use whatever fstop will get you the DOF you want. I know that's a non-answer, but it's true. I was going to shoot this somewhere between f8 and f16, but f11 got me what I needed.

Here's the original (with the license plate blacked out of course). I did reconstruct the bumper and the shadow under the bumper to remove the license plate, crop, healed out some of the ugly grease bits... etc.

ctruck.jpg

Use whatever fstop will get you the DOF you want. I know that's a non-answer, but it's true. I was going to shoot this somewhere between f8 and f16, but f11 got me what I needed.

Here's the original (with the license plate blacked out of course). I did reconstruct the bumper and the shadow under the bumper to remove the license plate, crop, healed out some of the ugly grease bits... etc.

ctruck.jpg

You've got skills my friend. Thanks again!

Well background off all your pictures is really wonderful and ideal, but its not so focused as it should, try to have your main focus on cars, with little effoprt you will have amazing results

I would keep the backgrounds simple with hard sunlight......but try shooting with long exposures at dawn or dusk....we used to shoot cars on the desert at dawn..incredible light...just before the sun came over the horizon.

Most reactions

Back