Getting the most from my camera

RThomas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!

My sister has asked me to photograph her wedding next month, and I want to get the best results.

I know about JPG artifacts and wavelength filtering and getting stuck with images that have nowhere to go to 'fix' after the fact because they've been stripped down to their bare bones.

I've done research and discovered how RAW style formats give you more to work with, so I'm looking for an app that will let me take DNG pictures with my iPhone. Can anyone recommend one?

I am not sure how to answer this. As a cell phone camera, be as good as some might be. Is not the appropriate equipment to use for a wedding.

Honnestly, this almost seems as if its bait to start a flame war post.

As for your question though. Raw is a capability of the camera and its software. It is not software you use after the fact on a picture (edditing yes, capture no). If your camera only outputs jpeg, then your output will only be jpeg. Once the picture is saved in jpeg and it is compressed. There is no way to get the information that is lost by compression back.

You may take excellent pictures with your phone, and they may look great on your phone. But what do they look like printed to 8x10? I don't know your ability, but from the horror stories on this site and others. This is a situation to stay away from. Unless your sister knows full well the limitations of your phone (picture quality, and printable size), I would have a good long talk with her. Just so everyone is on the same page.

Obviously I don't know you, and have not seen any of your pictures. But this situation screams "are you kidding me"! Honnestly, no offence intended.

Oh brother -

That'll be the day...and it will be!

Am I reading this correctly?

You plan on using an iPhone to photograph a whole wedding? I really don't even know why cell phones have cameras. They all suck, and if you don't need the quality pics that an SLR provides, just bring along a point and shoot. They take WAY better pics than a phone, and are compact and easily transported.

Anyway, if you don't have a real camera, PLEASE tell her to find someone else. She will probably only get married once, and she should have clear photos so she can remember it forever. This is no offense to you, because not even Justin Kosman could properly photograph an event like this with a phone camera.

ben...that was quite possibly, THE most diplomatic response to a flame-ready post i've ever seen.
good on you.:thumbup:

I think you guys are pulling my leg. The iPhone has a 3 megapixel camera, and I know that was what the top of the line digital cameras could do just a few years ago.

I've seen film photographers using cameras that are 10 or even 20 years old, so I figure I should be ok.

I think you guys are pulling my leg. The iPhone has a 3 megapixel camera, and I know that was what the top of the line digital cameras could do just a few years ago.

I've seen film photographers using cameras that are 10 or even 20 years old, so I figure I should be ok.

:thumbup: GLHF

Shall I say it again?

Oh brother.

RThomas, to be honest megapixels are one of the last things you should care about. Quality, not quantity. A phone cam just isn't good enough. Does it even have a flash? You could take some pics for yourself, but if she wants a good photo that she can frame and cherish for years, a camera phone pic just will not cut it. And again, I'm coming down on the phone, not you. You might be able to do a fine job with an SLR. No one could properly photograph a wedding with a phone.

Pulling your leg? No.

Did you notice the difference in lenses between those cameras and your phone? :lol::lmao::lol::lmao::lol::lmao::lol::lmao::lol:

As Arthur C. Clarke once said, "To the average person, any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." :thumbup:

must_not_feed_the_troll.jpg

Most reactions

Back