Getting the most out of my new D70s

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Dweller, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Dweller

Dweller Inconspicuous Supporter

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    :smileys:

Today may be the day! I am finally ready to pull the trigger on a new D70s with 18-70 kit lens, extra battery, 1GB 80x memory card and a bag.

So my question now is can anyone reccomend a book (or will the manual do a good enough job) for learning all the features of this camera? I am coming from Film and until recently did not pay a lot of attention to the Digital side of things. I wanted to focus on learning the fundamentals with what I had first. But now I am ready to move into the digital side of things so I can shoot more without that constant thought of how much its going to cost to process all the film I am shooting. I can now setup experimental shots where it may take me 100 shots (if ever) to get it right, but thats ok because I am shooting digitially now!

Ahem... sorry... so back on topic, can anyone reccomend a good book on using the D70s?

2. Arch

Arch Damn You! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There's probably a field guide you can buy like you can for the D50, but all the technical side is in your manual...... i wouldn't waste the money.

3. omeletteman

omeletteman TPF Noob!

While I'm not entirely sure, but there are probably places online that would discuss some of the features if you did a search for it.

4. tgates

tgates TPF Noob!

Hey! Congratulations! I just got the same camera...ain't it awesome! I bought mine at Wolf Camera - they had a more detailed manual and a DVD for the D70S. I haven't yet, but will probably end up getting one of them. There's so much to learn with this thing.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007NN2IW/qid=1140148083/sr=8-12/ref=pd_bbs_12/002-2954471-0654417?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130"]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007NN2IW/qid=1140148083/sr=8-12/ref=pd_bbs_12/002-2954471-0654417?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130[/ame]

5. Ant

Ant TPF Noob!

6. xion

xion TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The included manual with the camera is good enough to start - it will teach you the mechanics but the actual photo talking is up to you.

7. Dweller

Dweller Inconspicuous Supporter

Photos OK to edit
    heh yeah I was not looking for a "how do I take pictures" but more something that may help someone who started on a completely manual film SLR (with the exception of metering) make the transition to digital. things like exposure compensation sound really cool and I am sure the manual will explain it but it would be nice to see examples like "this is the situation where I used exposure compensation and this is the results it gave me".

I may swing by the library after I get through the manual today and see what they have available.