Getting the right Zoom Lens

dklubin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got my Nikon D40X 6 months ago and have been playing around with it and want to get a little more serious. I went to an air show saturday got some pics but want to get closer the lens I am using is the one I got with the camera. Can someone please tell me a good lens I can get to get a better zoom.

budget???????

If your just looking for economical focal range pick up the Nikkor 55-200VR.. It's plenty sharp for the price and compliments your 18-55...

Good Luck

I have been a lurker here for a few months - just joined to post a comment on your question.
I have the same camera you have - but I picked out the lens first, and then bought the camera.
I would highly recommend the Nikon 18-200 lens as the only lens you will need. I read all the recommendations I could find - take a look at KenRockwell.com for a thorough discription of the attributes of this lens.
An investment, no doubt - but in this world it's the lenses that last forever and camera bodys that are out of date in 10 years.
Read all you can, go to a local photoshop and put the lens on your camera and play with it.
I have been using Nikon cameras and lenses for the past 30 years - This lens is as good as anything I have ever bought (well, my Nikkor 35-105 was really something special, but that's another story).
Check it out - I think you'll like what you see.

If your just looking for economical focal range pick up the Nikkor 55-200VR.. It's plenty sharp for the price and compliments your 18-55...

Sharp? I could never really get a sharp picture from this lens - for me it was very hit and miss. Plus I managed to break it last night.

If your just looking for economical focal range pick up the Nikkor 55-200VR.

I agree. At airshows, its always outside and in bright conditions... where high shutter speeds are needed and attainable.

If you need a lens that is faster (can open to a larger aperture), and are on a less limited budget, you may consider looking at the Sigma 70-200 F/2.8.

If you have unlimited budget, there is one really good lens and that is teh Nikkor 70-200 VR F/2.8... amazing lens, but pricey.

Sharp? I could never really get a sharp picture from this lens - for me it was very hit and miss. Plus I managed to break it last night.

I can almost guarantee that both picture sharpness AND it breaking were both your fault, and no fault of the lens. ;)

I had the 55-200vr. I loved it. The images that I got on it were on par with my 18-200vr. That being said, the 18-200vr has a better vr setup, and goes from 18-200 thus no need to change lenses. If I were on a budget, I would get the 70-300vr. If you have a higher budget pick up the 70-200 2.8. I just bought one but it hasn't gotten here yet so I can't tell you how it compares, but I would bet my paycheck that it will live up to the hipe. If you are looking to get closer than 200mm, the Nikkor 300mm f4 is really nice. The extra 100mm will take you that much closer to the action. Just my .02...

I can almost guarantee that both picture sharpness AND it breaking were both your fault, and no fault of the lens. ;)

Oh, I quite agree, my girlfriend could get some good pictures from it, but I could never quite get it to focus properly. As for breaking it, if I cant get warranty on it then it'll go to the big box of expensive broken toys I have. At least this toy lasted 3 months - not many make it past 1 ;)

Oh, I quite agree, my girlfriend could get some good pictures from it, but I could never quite get it to focus properly. As for breaking it, if I cant get warranty on it then it go to the big box of expensive broken toys I have. At least this toy lasted 3 months - not many make it past 1 ;)

How'd you break it?

Most reactions

Back