Getting tired of waiting on Pentax...

explody pup

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
It's been almost a year since Pentax announced the release of their DA* lenses and they still have yet to pony up. Yeah, they were bought by Hoya and I can understand a bit of delay, but this is unreasonable. The last I heard was they'd be released the middle of this month and no stores that I've contacted have any in stock.

So I'm trying to decide if I want to jump the gun and get the Sigma 18-50mm 2.8 instead of continuing to wait on the Pentax 16-50mm 2.8 (which, according to the prices listed on pre-orders, is twice as much as the Sigma). The reviews on the Sigma are about what I'd expect for a zoom at that price range. The reviews on the Tokina 16-50mm 2.8 (same lens as the Pentax except without the SMC coating or HSM drive, from what I understand) leaves a bit to be desired for a lens of this price. I'm getting tired of forcing my Pentax-M lenses to work with my K110d.

Anyway, I'm mostly just venting and frustrated at Pentax's comparable lack of higher quality lens choices*. Frustrated at their almost year long delay in bringing their "pro" level zoom lenses to the US market. Frustrated that I bought into a system without truly realizing what I'm getting myself into.

So, to make a pointlessly long post short, who here uses the Sigma EX DC Macro 18-50mm 2.8 with either a Pentax K100d or K110d body? Are you happy with its performance? Is there anything about it that makes you wish you'd have held out for the as-of-yet nonexistent 16-50mm DA* lens?

*Except for the 77mm and 31mm Limited lenses, which fill me with a most carnal lust, but not so much that I'm willing to pay $1,500+ for lenses on a system that I no longer have much confidence in.

If weather sealing is a must then the wait is nearly over. However it's also worth considering the Sigma 17-70, just bought it to replace my Samsung GX-10 kit lens & am very impressed - excellent zoom range too

simon

Most reactions

Back