Getting to grips with my D3000

hartz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some random questions if I may, about the settings on this camera...

1. In one review I see they managed to get diferent sets of information overlaid on the picture (in playback mode). I can't seem to figure out what to press to get to that mode!

2. Can someone please point me to a guide on the Picture Modes and in-camera sharpening for the Nikon D3000.

3. I wish I could change more of the button functions... Any tips/hints? I particularly want quicker access to WB and ISO, but also want quick(er) access to Image quality (toturn RAW on/off) and picture mode and noise reduction and ... Currently I've got it set to let me have quick access to ISO.

4. There doesn't seem to be a special Macro-mode like I'm used to from my compact. The Close-up mode changes the depth-of-field (prefers a larger aperture size?), but not the focus distance range. Is this correct?

5. What is the point of the ISO sensitivity settings in the Shooting Menu. I can understand giving Auto-ISO a minimum and Maximum, but when having that set, what is the point of ALSO being able to set a sensitivity? I assume the camera will select a value between minimum and maximum regardless of the value selected? How does this affect the ISO setting from the shooting settings screen? Why Can't I adjust the ISO with the settings scroll wheel on that screen (It bothers me that I need to first press OK on the item before I can change its value)

6. What is the meaning of the P vs P* seen at the top of the display when in P-mode? It changes when turning the settings wheel.

7. The AE/AF lock button's function can be changed (In the Buttons Menu). It seems the default function on this button is to, when you keep the button pressed after metering and focussing, while composing, hold the Exposure and focus locked. I am used to half-pressing the shutter release button to do exactly that. Is there something more here that I'm not realizing?

Thank you
_hartz

all of your questions, with the exception of #4, can be answered by READING THE MANUAL.

for #4, for macro photography on a dSLR, you need a macro lens, or extension tubes.

I can't answer all your question but I may be able to help with some. I found a site that likes answering questions even tho it's in the manual, try Nikonians :: The Nikon User Community

Below are a few I knew

1. In one review I see they managed to get diferent sets of information overlaid on the picture (in playback mode). I can't seem to figure out what to press to get to that mode!

In view mode, "viewing your pic," push the down arrow to cycle through display options.

2. Can someone please point me to a guide on the Picture Modes and in-camera sharpening for the Nikon D3000.

3. I wish I could change more of the button functions... Any tips/hints? I particularly want quicker access to WB and ISO, but also want quick(er) access to Image quality (toturn RAW on/off) and picture mode and noise reduction and ... Currently I've got it set to let me have quick access to ISO.

Well the D3000 is basically entry level so they had to skimp somewhere. but if you press the button at the bottom left of the display twice, you can set most of the options there

4. There doesn't seem to be a special Macro-mode like I'm used to from my compact. The Close-up mode changes the depth-of-field (prefers a larger aperture size?), but not the focus distance range. Is this correct?

That's a job for a macro lens, more money

5. What is the point of the ISO sensitivity settings in the Shooting Menu. I can understand giving Auto-ISO a minimum and Maximum, but when having that set, what is the point of ALSO being able to set a sensitivity? I assume the camera will select a value between minimum and maximum regardless of the value selected? How does this affect the ISO setting from the shooting settings screen? Why Can't I adjust the ISO with the settings scroll wheel on that screen (It bothers me that I need to first press OK on the item before I can change its value)

haven't gotten there yet

6. What is the meaning of the P vs P* seen at the top of the display when in P-mode? It changes when turning the settings wheel. not sure

7. The AE/AF lock button's function can be changed (In the Buttons Menu). It seems the default function on this button is to, when you keep the button pressed after metering and focussing, while composing, hold the Exposure and focus locked. I am used to half-pressing the shutter release button to do exactly that. Is there something more here that I'm not realizing?

Thank you
_hartz

Find the online manual.
The manual that came with the camera is not complete and I think that is really flugged up of them to do. Unless I misplaced one that came with my camera, they give you like up to page 40 or so in the "manual" that comes in the box, but you can find the complete manual online

http://nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D3000_ENnoprint.pdf

Find the online manual.
The manual that came with the camera is not complete and I think that is really flugged up of them to do. Unless I misplaced one that came with my camera, they give you like up to page 40 or so in the "manual" that comes in the box, but you can find the complete manual online

I agree - tha manual I received in the box is no better than pressing the HELP button as you go along. I learned more from reviews of the camera than I did from the manual.

I do believe there may be a full (or more complete?) version of the manual on one of the included CDs - I have not checked that yet, but in any case now downloading the one from the link you provided. Thank you.

I'm a Canon user (T1i) and the other day I used my friend's Nikon D5000. I was incredibly confused. I didn't see any clear indication of an ISO button anywhere on the body (I was looking for "ISO" since I remember seeing one on the D1x). And it felt like it were more cumbersome to get through the settings. Another thing I noticed (like you pointed out) is that you can't easily change settings just by selecting a value and rotating the wheel. On my T1i by default I was able to select a value, and then edit it without having to hit "OK" with just rotating the dial.

Maybe on your camera by default it doesn't allow you to do that, and maybe there's a menu setting somewhere. But if there isn't, it sounds like the accessibility issues you are having could be remedied by selling your gear and buying a Canon setup.

Or you could try the users manual or something, I don't know.

I'm a Canon user (T1i) and the other day I used my friend's Nikon D5000. I was incredibly confused. I didn't see any clear indication of an ISO button anywhere on the body (I was looking for "ISO" since I remember seeing one on the D1x). And it felt like it were more cumbersome to get through the settings. Another thing I noticed (like you pointed out) is that you can't easily change settings just by selecting a value and rotating the wheel. On my T1i by default I was able to select a value, and then edit it without having to hit "OK" with just rotating the dial.

Maybe on your camera by default it doesn't allow you to do that, and maybe there's a menu setting somewhere. But if there isn't, it sounds like the accessibility issues you are having could be remedied by selling your gear and buying a Canon setup.

On a review I watched, this is how they made the body so affordable. You CAN change ISO and every other setting that more "expensive" cameras have, but you have to go in the menu and change them, there is not a turn dial on the body itself. Doing it this way allowed them to get a great camera out for a more affordable price.

:)

You're comparing an $800 camera (T1i) to a $500 entry level camera(d5000). Obviously the d5000 will lack some features.

When viewing a picture press the up and down buttons.
Press the menu button, go to the shooting menu, press optimize image and then go to custom.
I also have the function button controlling the ISO. If you want more buttons then buy a more expensive camera, like the Nikon d90. There is one thing you could do. Turn on the camera and press the zoom in button twice. This will allow you to pretty much change all the settings using a single menu.
You will need a dedicated macro lens. You can also use extension tubes or close up diopters.
You can change the ISO by using the scroll wheel if you assign ISO control to the function button. I thought you did that already so I'm a bit confused. If you select a certain ISO setting from the shooting menu, then the camera will use that setting.
6. What is the meaning of the P vs P* seen at the top of the display when in P-mode? It changes when turning the settings wheel.
No idea, I don't use p mode. Check your user manual.
When you half press, you adjust exposure and you focus on that point. By pressing that button, you can adjust the exposure for a certain point and focus on a different one.
Thank you
_hartz

You're comparing an $800 camera (T1i) to a $500 entry level camera(d5000). Obviously the d5000 will lack some features.

You're forgetting that upon their release they had a $50 price difference. I wasn't trying to flatly call Nikon inferior, not in the least. But you're just refusing to acknowledge facts.

You're forgetting that upon their release they had a $50 price difference. I wasn't trying to flatly call Nikon inferior, not in the least. But you're just refusing to acknowledge facts.

lol well if the Ti has these features on the outside AND was still 500 dollars, then you could compare them, but it isnt. Get the 800 dollar Nikon, and it will have these features on turn dials on the outside.

I'm just going with the prices that exist now.

I own a d40x... I can easily control iso, exposure time and aperture using the wheel. I don't have to press ok after changing one of these either. I'm fairly certain the d5000 works in the same way as my camera. According to the op, its lacking a way to control the white balance, noise reduction, image quality and post processing features. I think the t1i allows you to control the white balance as well, but as far as I know you can't change any of the other things. I shoot in raw so white balance is useless to me anyway.

lol well if the Ti has these features on the outside AND was still 500 dollars, then you could compare them, but it isnt. Get the 800 dollar Nikon, and it will have these features on turn dials on the outside.

Did you read my post? I said at launch (roughly the same time) the two cameras had a 50 dollar price difference. That's why I was surprised that the Nikon didn't have the ease of use that I was expecting. That's all I was saying.

Sure, and I said that I was comparing the prices now. But that doesn't even matter anyway, I just looked it up and it looks like the WB button is the only extra dedicated button that the t2i has over the d5000.

I guess you just weren't used to the d5000 when you borrowed it from your friend. It appears to me that the two cameras are very much alike.

The complete D3000 users manual is on one of the discs that comes with the camera.

Yes, but I HATE reading long drawn out stuff on the computer! Plus, It makes it hard to scribble and take notes on the side bar, when you don't have an actual manual.
I guess just another way to save money.

and who cares about the price when they first came out. Obviously they were being competitive, but they can not offer that low price forever, like the Nikon did.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back