Getting together a mid-price photo/video setup? Nikin D90?

kawasakiguy37

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im a film student looking to get into photography (Ive been doing photography work for our school newspaper for awhile now using their cameras, mainly a D2HS, which I really like) but I really need to upgrade and get my own equipment. Im looking to do freelance sports and wedding photography, so ill definitely need some good portrait lenses along with a few that are a bit longer. I do like primes a lot, and am a Nikon fan ( I like the fact that I can use older lenses, I dont mind manual focus at all as long as it isnt for sports). Right now Im considering the D90, which seems like a great item at a great pricepoint. My only concern, however, is that I also want to use the camera for video, and the D90 right now is a bit subpar compared to other cameras.

I also need a recommendation on a cheap new / used lighting setup, Im thinking two external lights would be sufficient, maybe one softbox (or perhaps I can just make a softbox). Ill worry about video lighting later, as I start to make money hopefully.

O, and I forgot to mention another reason I want to go nikon is I have a fair amount of friends with nikon lenses already, so ill have a good amount of people to borrow from :lol:

If you enjoy using the older AIS lenses (which are great btw) go for the 300s becuase it can meter with them (pretty important if you shoot these lenses alot). Id buy alot more of these lenses if my d90 could meter with them.

Right after making that first post I found the D300S actually, I didnt even know it existed ( I only knew about the D300 ).

Maybe I should just wait for Nikon to come out with 1080P? In actuality to be honest Id rather see them come out with something better than ****ty 24P, say 60P like panasonics even at 720.

What other lenses can be adapted to use with the D300? (perhaps older manual focus primes from other companies?)

Right after making that first post I found the D300S actually, I didnt even know it existed ( I only knew about the D300 ).

Maybe I should just wait for Nikon to come out with 1080P? In actuality to be honest Id rather see them come out with something better than ****ty 24P, say 60P like panasonics even at 720.

What other lenses can be adapted to use with the D300? (perhaps older manual focus primes from other companies?)

Pretty much any nikon or off brand lens with the standard mount and is AI.

Yeah i prefer nikon to canon but canon def has nikon in the video category right now

What about the Canon 7D? That's priced at the mid-level. If you can afford the extra cost, the Canon 5D-II would be a good choice for video-making uses. OF course, you'll want an external sound capture system, and maybe even a gunstock type rail system to make it a better video shootin' rig.

Video integration seems to be a weak point for a lot of the d-slr bodies that have video; it' still early days in d-slr video,and a lot of the videophiles have certain 'issues' with almost every video d-slr on the market, Canon or Nikon. As far as "waiting"--it is rumored that Canon and Nikon will make camera announcements on March 8 and 9, so that's less than one week away...

What about the Canon 7D? That's priced at the mid-level. If you can afford the extra cost, the Canon 5D-II would be a good choice for video-making uses. OF course, you'll want an external sound capture system, and maybe even a gunstock type rail system to make it a better video shootin' rig.

Video integration seems to be a weak point for a lot of the d-slr bodies that have video; it' still early days in d-slr video,and a lot of the videophiles have certain 'issues' with almost every video d-slr on the market, Canon or Nikon. As far as "waiting"--it is rumored that Canon and Nikon will make camera announcements on March 8 and 9, so that's less than one week away...

I think I will wait until at least the summer, as I will be graduating from undergrad this spring and getting a job then.

I just hope Nikon introduces something tricky soon with video, hopefully superior compression that has less color loss and more dynamic range, something closer to RAW basically.

Hey, that or video better than 1080P...

Most reactions

Back