Getting Used To Your Camera

Ranger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How long did it take you to get use to your DSLR?

Iam getting a Canon XT for my Birthday this Friday and I convinced my mom to let me use it alittle while today :mrgreen: . So we went out to this nature trail hoping to find something interesting today to take pictures of. I mostly used auto today but when I got home all of my pictures were out of focus or to dark. I figured that it is probably I need to use the camera more and learn all of the setting. So what Im trying to get to is, how long until my pictures are gonna look good :D ???

Thanks in advance!

There is a lot going on. It could be that it was focusing on something in the image other than what you wanted it to focus on. The way to correct that would be to make sure that the focus point you use is on the important part of the image. On your camera you can select the focus point you want. But it may have bee set on all of them,thus the camera may focus on something you do not want it to. If that is not the reason,it could also be that the lens was in MF mode (manual focus).
Dark photos are a sign of under exposure, Since you were in the AUTO mode, I would think that you may of had strong backlighting. That is were the sun is behind your subject. The camera meter sees this brightness and causes you subject to be dark. It's hard to tell without seeing the shot.
Could you post it? If you have difficulty posting it, you can PM me or email it to me. I'm on the East coast and will get back to it Monday night.
Stick with it,Enjoy the journey and don't get discouraged.

Ranger-

The XT is capable of delivering a professional quality image. At 8x10 the difference between an XT image and a 1D image is insignificant. If you can see a difference ... the difference is based more upon the skill and experience of the operator than image quality of the camera.

If you devote yourself to learning the basics, i.e how the camera works (what all the lights and buttons mean and do), shutter speed, aperture, ISO and what they mean to the photo and to each other ... your photos will be just grand in a very short time. But your learning has just began. If you get bitten by the photography bug ... for the rest of your life you will be learning, applying what you did yesterday to a new situation today. And the more you experience and apply those experiences the better your images will be.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
Gary

PS- I gave my daughter an XT for her 14th b-day ... she loves the camera, but it took her a while to get good photos also.
G

Post pics up here and everyone will be glad to help. try www.wikipedia.com for camera terms and functions and all that jazz. Google is also your friend. there is a lot of information out there just waiting to be read

There's a lot to understanding exposure. Buy the book called "understanding exposure" by Bryan Petersen. That will explain a lot.

I've had mine for 5 months and the other day I whipped out the manual to check something. Understanding my camera came in a matter of weeks. Knowing the finest details of how it behaves... not done yet.

Check that somehow your exposure compensation isn't stopped down all the way. I don't know how to explain it, check your manual, and make sure. It's also different in every Mode - consider shooting in Program Mode, which is Auto but you can override it anytime.

I would recommend pulling out the manual and switching the camera to manual mode. Figure out how to adjust your shutter speed, aperture, and film speed/sensitivity (ISO number). Learn how to read the meter on your camera and learn how each metering mode works, and what the camera is trying to measure. Also read about focus points and what the camera auto focus is trying to do. Take lots of test shots to see how the three controls from above affect exposure, and also depth of field (DOF) and motion blur. After you gain an understanding of how to manually control these three parameters and the metering modes, etc understanding the program/auto modes, and when and why each are appropriate for a given subject becomes much easier, IMO.

Ranger-

The XT is capable of delivering a professional quality image. At 8x10 the difference between an XT image and a 1D image is insignificant.

I beg to differ. I can afford an XT but I still can't afford a 1D! :lol:

On topic. Every time I get a new camera the first pictures are terrible. Somehow the camera gets better as I use it more, just like magic. Of course reading the manual along the way, might have some effect. ;)

It's all about learning to use the tool, within the limitations of the equipment and understanding where it's strengths are as well.

While Auto does take acceptable pictures, in optimum conditions and even in average conditions, learning to use AV, TV or Manual will get the best results.

Thanks everyone!

I read the instruction manual twice, but without the camera sitting in front of you its kinda hard to understand whats it talking about but once I get it back I will go through the manual with the camera. With my point and shoot Kodak it seemed as though I picked it up quickly but I suppose with those cameras there isnt much to learn. And I picked up how to use a regular SLR also, but combining the two is what confuses me.

My mom took the camera back, all of my photos are on the CF card in the camera but I deleted them off of the computer. Friday, when I get my camera, I will load them back on and post them. Hopefully Im gonna get to go out to the Horse track Friday and get some pics so Ill have alot to post!

I got my first DSLR in November. I would say that I was less than impressed with the photographs that came from it initially. Apparently, a semi-expensive camera doesn't automatically take awesome pictures :)

Now that I'm getting used to it, I don't like using my point and shoot unless I'm just taking scrapbook quality snapshots. Anytime I'm in "photographer mode", I prefer the DSLR just for the control it offers, and the ease of controls. I shoot mostly in manual mode now, and use spot metering to make my exposure decisions. When I do throw it into one of its preset modes (for quick photos that I don't want to miss due to my poor abilities), it doesn't do much better than my point and shoot. I suppose that's because a camera doesn't know what it is that you're trying to capture!

So I would say that, yes, you'll have to get used to your camera before you'll start to be impressed by it.

One expected side affect of using a DSLR is that it forced me to learn more about photography in general, and fast. While a point and shoot camera today will often have many of the same controls and features as a consumer DSLR, they're such a pain to dial in that you end up just using the camera defaults and convincing yourself that everything is good enough.

One really interesting book you might check out is the Ansel Adams guide to photography (can't remember the exact title). It's not aimed directly at the novice, but is at a level that is understandable for learning at any level. It's also not geared at "digital photography", just photography in general which I think is more beneficial overall - less fluff. My brain also appreciates Adams' formula style of making good exposures. I found it at my public library. Which brings up yet another point: GO TO THE LIBRARY.

You're doing a good thing by reading the instruction manual over and over too. Just the other day I opened mine up and browsed while I had a bored moment, and discovered a handy button that I didn't even know existed. Ha.

Which brings up yet another point: GO TO THE LIBRARY.

I think I might just do that. I was at half price books the other night looking for books like this but I couldnt find them. Apparently the self help section is books for your mental state.

Just play with it. Explore all of the settings etc.

It took me roughly about a month to get fully up and going with my Nikon.

When I first got it I was a bit slow with it.
Now I can switch it on, switch to manual mode, and have my picture correctly exposed to the way I want it within seconds.

But just remember, nothing teaches more than experience. Getting out there and taking some pictures will teach you a lot more than sitting indoors reading articles on the net. Just experiment. Have some fun.

Most reactions

Back