Ghost photo (Double photo)

Macrom91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi!
How i can do ghost photo/double photo? My film camera is Canon T50. I have no idea about this, so i ask and every info is welcome!

Hi!
How i can do ghost photo/double photo? My film camera is Canon T50. I have no idea about this, so i ask and every info is welcome!
You can't. Not in camera. You can only superimpose two frames in enlarger or virtually. Is not the same but will do.

A double exposure or even a triple.. is feasible with film, depending on the subject, background, ambient light, etc... if that is what you mean by a ghost photo.

I once shot something for a friends little girl.... a Rainbow Brite Doll... black velvet background. Used flash to overcome ambient. Marked positions on the background so that the only subject overlap was the dolls hands. Put the doll in position #1 near the edge of the background, actuated, position #2, actuated, position #3, actuated.

Developed and printed.. results... three rainbow brite dolls holding hands. Very colorful photo!

A double exposure or even a triple.. is feasible with film, depending on the subject, background, ambient light, etc... if that is what you mean by a ghost photo.

I once shot something for a friends little girl.... a Rainbow Brite Doll... black velvet background. Used flash to overcome ambient. Marked positions on the background so that the only subject overlap was the dolls hands. Put the doll in position #1 near the edge of the background, actuated, position #2, actuated, position #3, actuated.

Developed and printed.. results... three rainbow brite dolls holding hands. Very colorful photo!
Do you have this scanned? It sounds pretty cool! How did you actuate without advancing the film?

Do you have this scanned? It sounds pretty cool! How did you actuate without advancing the film?

I don't have it scanned.. that was early to mid 80's! And I don't even have a negative anymore. I may have a 4x6 of it.. I will check when I get home. Shoot it and pop it up for you.

Most film cameras have the ability to disconnect the film drive for multiple exposures. I was using OM4's.. and had the power drives on them. Made it easy.

It doesn't look like the T50 can do multiple exposure... The only way you could do it on that camera would be to shoot a roll, rewind it leaving the leader out, then shoot the same roll again. You would have a whole roll of double exposures.

Most, but not all film cameras can do it... Any 'modern' 35mm SLR should have the option though. On my 1N RS, you can do as many exposures on a single frame as you would want to. IMO, it starts to get ugly after 3 (depending on the subject, of course) unless you're going for something like what Charlie was doing above.

It doesn't look like the T50 can do multiple exposure... The only way you could do it on that camera would be to shoot a roll, rewind it leaving the leader out, then shoot the same roll again. You would have a whole roll of double exposures.
Leave the lens cap on for the second round where you didn't want doubles?

Leave the lens cap on for the second round where you didn't want doubles?
That would work, as long as you took detailed notes and went in planning on doing that.

The frames would probably not line up exactly, but they would be close.

Yeah - I figured that getting the frames lined up would be a challenge; I never tried it.

If you knew you were going to use the roll for this from the beginning, paying close attention to exactly how far you pull the leader out when you load the film would probably get the frames lined up pretty good.

Hi!
You can't. Not in camera. You can only superimpose two frames in enlarger or virtually. Is not the same but will do.
Sorry, I wasn't clear; not in this camera, T50. This camera winds film right after exposure and it is impossible, even with rewind button (this on the bottom of camera) depressed (how to do that ?) to disengage the drive.

If you knew you were going to use the roll for this from the beginning, paying close attention to exactly how far you pull the leader out when you load the film would probably get the frames lined up pretty good.
That's good thinking, but that shooting doubles completely blind. What's the point.

Bulb mode, and someone to block the lens, in a dark environment, you could do something at least.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back