Ghost runner

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by mpdc, Feb 6, 2005.

1. mpdc

mpdc TPF Noob!

PLEase do tell what you think.
    [​IMG]

2. BLS

BLS TPF Noob!

Don't know what I think because it's so big I have to keep scrolling to see it. Maybe you could resize?

3. Blackswann

Blackswann TPF Noob!

Woooaaa... too big, too big and very orange... could you perhaps tone it down just a little?! Nice idea thought, let me guess... long exposure with small aperture? I like it

4. mpdc

mpdc TPF Noob!

I must admit I am not sure how to do that to my photos, without losing quality.
    Yes I used night time settings, very dark. The orange I am not sure how to edit as well.
    Very new at this, and have never modified a photo.

5. Blackswann

Blackswann TPF Noob!

Have played with the image and the yellowy/orange lighting seems to really overpower the image detracting your attention away from the main subject... what about this:

[​IMG]

It has been cropped to remove most of the unnecessary detail, converted to B&W and contrast enhanced... what do you think?

6. Jon K

Jon K TPF Noob!

I don't know, it seems to be a "i was bored" shot to me. It's a night time, long exposure person running through a tunnel. It's really center heavy and the color is really saturated. Somewhat mundane to me. If you used a second curtain flash and captured him in still with a trail it would be more interesting IMHO. Good attempt though.

7. mpdc

mpdc TPF Noob!

Nice I do like that.

8. SLOShooter

SLOShooter TPF Noob!

I like the B&W more.

I agree that thoose sodium lamps just cause too much distraction throughout the entire image. Even in the B&W shot they're hard not to look at.

9. Blackswann

Blackswann TPF Noob!

I have found, though, that most of the 'mundane shots' can be made more interesting by cropping... to be fair alot of my raw photo originals border on the uninteresting it's just how your picture leads the eye of the observer into and tells a story.

It's the old maxim... 2% inspiration, 98% luck!

10. jadin

jadin The Mad Hatter

I like the gold tones much better than the b&w version. But the runner is just too blurred to be successful as your subject, which kind of leaves the photo subjectless.

If you really want to make this photo work, my suggestion would be to crop it to a panoramic. This makes the the retaining wall, as well as the bright lights, leading lines toward your chosen subject.

[​IMG]

To resize photos without losing detail the best way to do that is to run "unsharp mask" filter (or any sharpening filter if you don't have USM) after you resize.

11. Blackswann

Blackswann TPF Noob!

I like the idea of the panoramic but my eye is being drawn towards the fencing on the far left... tighter left crop maybe?

Still very yellow though, what about toning it down a bit?

12. jadin

jadin The Mad Hatter

Any tighter cropping makes it look off-balanced for me.

As far as the yellow, you're talking to the wrong person there, :D those tones are one of the best part of nighttime photography! ;-)