Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shot while waiting for the Sooke Sailing Association's "Parade of Lights" and forgotten about 'til now. Needs more work on the noise reduction, but I thought it was interesting; how say you? As always, comments, critique and suggestions always appreciated.

Ghost_Ship.jpg

Really love this!

I think I would bring up either the highlights, or exposure on the smoke/smoke reflection. Just a bit!

Of coarse, thats a nit pick.

Really cool shot. Love the subtlety of it.

It’s too bad there wasn’t just a very slight bit of light along the water line at the base of the boat; I think it would add a little depth. But obviously that’s just nitpicking and was completely out of your control.

Very dark. I am not compelled to even want to look at it. Not sure what there is to look at...

Really love this!

I think I would bring up either the highlights, or exposure on the smoke/smoke reflection. Just a bit!

Thanks!
How's this:
Ghost_Ship2.jpg

It’s too bad there wasn’t just a very slight bit of light along the water line at the base of the boat; I think it would add a little depth. But obviously that’s just nitpicking and was completely out of your control.
I wish there was too; I tried to pull some detail out of the hull, but no joy.

Looked at this a couple times and came away with the same feeling, it's just to dark. A little more moon light on this scene would have really made it pop. I'm wondering if the shadow detail will show up better in a print.

Looked at this a couple times and came away with the same feeling, it's just to dark. A little more moon light on this scene would have really made it pop. I'm wondering if the shadow detail will show up better in a print.
Unfortunately there was zero moon out that night; the only light was from the searchlight on a passing boat, and that was about as good as it got.

Very dark. I am not compelled to even want to look at it. Not sure what there is to look at...
Are you not seeing any detail at all?

I see the bow, the railing, the mast, an anchor bouy...a bit of water. But none of that is genuinely compelling. I just do not "want" to decipher the shot...it's just too dark. I was not there. I have no association with the scene or the place, so to me, this one's a binner... Sorry to be so blunt, but hey, it says, "Mr. Rain Cloud" there under my picture, so...

Would have been really great lighting if that searchlight had a few more stops on 'er

I look at this and here are my thoughts.... Tripod, remote, f/8, ISO 200, play in post.

Really love this!

Thanks!
How's this:
Ghost_Ship2.jpg

I wish there was too; I tried to pull some detail out of the hull, but no joy.

I like it! Thats exactly what I was thinking.
Has a very mysterious vibe to it. I think you've done well working with what was available to you.

I played around in LR and Define 2 with this, trying to recover a little more detail, and noise reduction. Wasn't much in the ship, but surprisingly the sky and water offered up a little more, which allowed a silhouette effect on the ship. Anyhow, a different take, on an interesting image.

Ghost_Ship-Edit-2.jpg

Oooh ... Oooh ... Oooh. ... I love this. I absolutely love this. One of your photographic best! I love the darker image (which I would turn into a B&W). I love the second take ... just because. I’d leave the second take as is. I don’t care for smokes665’s take ... just because I don’t like smoke665. Smoke665 took the Ghost out of Ghostship.

I played around in LR and Define 2 with this, trying to recover a little more detail, and noise reduction. Wasn't much in the ship, but surprisingly the sky and water offered up a little more, which allowed a silhouette effect on the ship. Anyhow, a different take, on an interesting image.

View attachment 151112
I must admit, I like this version too!

I wonder if something in the middle would look the best in print? Paper is always so "dark" compared to my lovely monitors.

In this brighter version, I would clone over the bright lights in the background. (theres three of them camera right) Maybe with a 50% opacity clone, they need to stay there for the reflection on the water, but maybe not so harsh.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back